[comp.sys.sgi] Iris 4D - 80 GTB interface with a PC

jac@BRL.MIL ("John A. Condon", BDB) (02/14/90)

Hello!

Does anyone out there know how to connect a pc to the Iris 4D?
I don't want to go over the ethernet so I want to be hardwired
utilizing one of the ports on the I/O panel on the Iris.  The
question is which port is the right one to use if I want to copy
a file on one of the 4D's removable disks to my pc's Bernoulli
box?  Help !!!!!!!!!!

                            John (the Jersey Renegade)

goss@SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) (02/15/90)

In answer to the message:

> Date:     Wed, 14 Feb 90 9:02:49 EST
> From: "John A. Condon" (BDB) <jac@BRL.MIL>
> To: info-iris@BRL.MIL
> Cc: jac@BRL.MIL
> Subject:  Iris 4D - 80 GTB interface with a PC
>
> Hello!
>
> Does anyone out there know how to connect a pc to the Iris 4D?
> I don't want to go over the ethernet so I want to be hardwired
> utilizing one of the ports on the I/O panel on the Iris.  The
> question is which port is the right one to use if I want to copy
> a file on one of the 4D's removable disks to my pc's Bernoulli
> box?  Help !!!!!!!!!!
>
>                             John (the Jersey Renegade)

For hardware, you need a null modem cable for direct connect, or else a
pair of modems.  One of the IRIS installation/operation manuals  has a
diagram of the pin assignments for the IRIS serial port connectors
(there are normally 4 ports, numbered 1-4.  you can use any one of the
4). Note that the pin assignments on the IRIS are not the same as on
the PC, even though the connector is the same type.

Once you have the cable, you'll need to have your system administrator
enable the getty for the line (in /etc/inittab) and set the speed
(I suggest 19200; I've used speed this with no problems).

You'll also need a terminal emulator and file transfer protocol.  I
suggest Kermit because a) UNIX Kermit comes with the IRIS (see 4Dgifts)
and b) Kermit is available free for just about any flavor PC (IBM,
Mac, Amiga, etc.).  If you don't have PC kermit, you can get it
via FTP from Columbia University (let me know if you need details).
The Kermit protolcol will handle text and binary files.

Good Luck!

Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.
(214)733-7018