[comp.sys.sgi] Batch system NQS for iris and others

TORDA@HGRRUG52.BITNET (02/17/90)

A question about the availability of a batch sytem:
There is a batch system called
   Network Queueing Service (NQS)
which is either available for new iris's or will be soon. It is
running on many machines and works well on our convex C-220.
It is written by Sterling software, I believe under commission from
NASA.
Our intention would be to run it on a new iris server.
My question is the following:
    From some scanty documentation it would seem possible to set this
thing up so a little workstation could feed a queue running on one of
the iris servers. This would require NQS to run on the little machine.

Does anyone know more about this product ?
Is it possible to feed an Iris queue from another vendor machine ?
Is there a specific name and address for someone at either NASA or
Sterling software who would know more ?

Thanks for any advice or pointers to more info.

-Andrew Torda               (bitnet)           torda@hgrrug52

pj@sam.sgi.com (Paul Jackson) (02/20/90)

In article <9002161142.aa10870@SMOKE.BRL.MIL>, TORDA@HGRRUG52.BITNET writes:
> A question about the availability of a batch sytem:
> There is a batch system called
>    Network Queueing Service (NQS)
> which is either available for new iris's or will be soon.
> Our intention would be to run it on a new iris server.
> My question is the following:
>     From some scanty documentation it would seem possible to set this
> thing up so a little workstation could feed a queue running on one of
> the iris servers. This would require NQS to run on the little machine.
> Does anyone know more about this product ?
> Is it possible to feed an Iris queue from another vendor machine ?
> -Andrew Torda               (bitnet)           torda@hgrrug52

We at Silicon Graphics anticipate releasing a port of NQS as an option
later this year.  The product has begun testing at limited sites.
It supports network queuing, from a workstation to a server.
The results of our interoperability testing with other vendor's machines
are not available yet - we're hopeful but no promises yet.
Contact Dan Vivoli (danv@sgi.com) for information.

				Thanks, take care ...
				Paul Jackson (pj@asd.sgi.com), x1373