[comp.sys.sgi] Stardent's Application Visualization System

ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) (02/22/90)

At last I'm finally going to get my very own 240 GTX to do some volume
visualization work and more general stuff. I have already asked this group
about ChapVolumes vs VoxelView comparisons (thanx v. much for the replies
people :-), but would now like to pose another question.

Having just read through Stardent's glossy blurb on their AVS (Application
Visualization System),

a) has anyone ported this to an SGI machine (probably GTX architecture) since
   source code licences are available

b) does SGI have any plans to provide such a higher level visualization tool
   for users ??? I should think such an application would be ** very ** well
   received.

				ian

--

                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (02/22/90)

From what I've seen AVS looks like a prototype, albeit a good one, of
what a visualization environment should be.  It will be quite some
time before AVS or its successors actually have enough capabilities to
match custom, application specific, scientific visualization software.
But for a general purpose tool, it's not bad.

At a recent demostration at Stardent, they indicated that AVS is being
ported to Dore for use on the Ardent Titan machines.  The port
involves the writing of a graphics independent level, which should
make it easier to port to other architectures.  I too would like to
see AVS on our 4D machines.  When or whether it will happen is
anybody's guess.  Even Stardent and SGI may not know yet.

Also, the problem with porting prototypes is that the original may be
changing so fast that the porters can't keep up.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			P.O. Box 10494
Stanford University				Stanford, CA 94309
(jim@thrush.stanford.edu) 			(415) 723-4940

sgf@cs.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (02/22/90)

In article <1423@merlin.bhpmrl.oz> ianh@merlin.bhpmrl.oz (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>At last I'm finally going to get my very own 240 GTX to do some volume
>visualization work and more general stuff. I have already asked this group
>Having just read through Stardent's glossy blurb on their AVS (Application
>Visualization System),
>
>a) has anyone ported this to an SGI machine (probably GTX architecture) since
>
>b) does SGI have any plans to provide such a higher level visualization tool

(a) Well, now that the version of AVS (2) is out that's really usable we're
    considering it. The question that we have is at what level to actually
    "port" and where to do function emulation. AVS is based on the Stellar
     native PHIGS+ (for the most part) GL. I'm not sure that it makes sense
     to spend the time wrapping the SGI GL to fit Stellar's GL, and I don't
     want to spend the money on an SGI PHIGS only to wrap the ugly stuff
     anyway. What I'm leaning toward right now (at least until I see the AVS
     code) is using the AVS UI and data-flow on top of Wavefront's Visual C.

(b) Well..., it seems to me that it was someone at SGI who had a paper on
    data-flow paradigms published in ACM Graphics back in (?) '84. Where do
    think AVS came from? (:-)