[comp.sys.sgi] NNTP / other news software

S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (Bob Funchess) (02/23/90)

Has anyone ported nntp or anything like it to the 4D platform?  What
do the people in this newsgroup use to get their news?

Also, in general, I suppose that #include <sys/fs.h> in a source file means
"you may as well rewrite this one, it's not going to work with any trivial
 substitutions or compiler flags"...

                             < Bob | S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU | Funchess >
                                    University of Missouri - Rolla
Disclaimer:  If the university shared my opinions,
             would I have an ID like S090726 ???

In article <9002230726.aa00531@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (Bob Funchess) writes:
>Has anyone ported nntp or anything like it to the 4D platform?  What
>do the people in this newsgroup use to get their news?

I'm pretty sure there are folks here at U of T running NNTP on 4Ds.
I know C News runs on the 4D series -- a 4D/60T is one of our test systems.
--
"The N in NFS stands for Not, |     Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
or Need, or perhaps Nightmare"| uunet!attcan!utzoo!henry henry@zoo.toronto.edu

allan@prism.gatech.edu (Allan J. Nathanson) (02/27/90)

In article <9002230726.aa00531@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (Bob Funchess) writes:
>Has anyone ported nntp or anything like it to the 4D platform?  What
>do the people in this newsgroup use to get their news?

I've got (r)rn working on our PI's.  There were some gotcha's in "Configure"
but once they were resolved everything put together well.

Allan J. Nathanson                                 allan@prism.gatech.edu
Office of Computing Services                       ...!gatech!prism!allan
Georgia Insitute of Technology
Atlanta, Georgia  30332-0275                       (404)894-4831

rosalia@max.sunysb.edu (Mark Galassi) (02/27/90)

In article <9002230726.aa00531@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> S090726@UMRVMA.UMR.EDU (Bob Funchess) writes:
>Has anyone ported nntp or anything like it to the 4D platform?  What
>do the people in this newsgroup use to get their news?

I have nntp/cnews/rn/rrn/all sorts of stuff running on an SGI 4D/220.

I had some trouble, but not too much.  I cannot remember any more what I
did to get the various things to compile, but I mostly just tried the
usual porting tricks.
--
    {These opinions are mine, and should be everybody else's :-)}
	Mark Galassi		rosalia@dirac.sunysb.edu