[comp.sys.sgi] Help needed: Does anyone have a berkeley lpd running on Irix?

HAMM@biovax.rutgers.edu (Greg Hamm) (02/28/90)

We're trying to get a few SGI's set up in a sea of VAX/VMS and bsd
Unix boxes.  Tying together printing services is one of the things we'd
like to do, and the best way on the Unix side would seem to be to use
the Berkeley 'lpd' scheme.  However, this is not provided with Irix, and,
so far, we've been unable to find anyone who has lpd up on an Iris.

Can anybody out there help?  All hints/tips/pointers will be appreciated;
I'll summarize here if there are replies of interest.

Thanks in advance,

Greg
Gregory H. Hamm                           || Phone:   (201)932-4864
Director, Molecular Biology Computing Lab || FAX:     (201)932-5735
Waksman Institute/CABM                    || BITNET:   hamm@biovax
P.O. Box 759, Rutgers University          || Internet: hamm@mbcl.rutgers.edu
Piscataway, NJ 08855 * USA                ||

ams@acm.princeton.edu (02/28/90)

I have got lpd on my irises, you will need to get the source for lpd
from uunet.uu.net and the irix patches from bu.edu.  The idea is
simply grab the lpd source, apply the patch and voila, instant lpr.
There is one problem, however, you cannot attacha printer directly
to an iris.  Also, I am having some problems forcing transcript to work.
You can also wait for the next sgi release, which includes lpd.
--ams
p.s.  I am not in my office right now, but I am reasonably certain
	the patches are at bu.edu.  Let me know if you can't find them.

sgf@cs.brown.edu (Sam Fulcomer) (02/28/90)

In article <9002271720.aa04757@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> HAMM@biovax.rutgers.edu (Greg Hamm) writes:
>We're trying to get a few SGI's set up in a sea of VAX/VMS and bsd
>Unix boxes.  Tying together printing services is one of the things we'd
>like to do, and the best way on the Unix side would seem to be to use
>the Berkeley 'lpd' scheme.  However, this is not provided with Irix, and,

We have lpd and transcript running on our SGIs, however the tty code was
sufficiently ugly that (since our PS host is a Sun) we didn't rewrite the
local serial print stuff. It works more or less like a charm.

daveh@xtenk.sgi.com (David A Higgen) (03/01/90)

A port of lpd is in the next IRIX release (called variously 3.3, Aspen or
Birch; I don't know what the name will be in the "real world").

We don't really intend it as a general replacement for the lp spooler system,
though; mainly to allow SGI machines to send requests to BSD print servers.

The BSD code won't port directly to IRIX 3.2 for various compatibility
reasons, though these could be worked around. I'd be inclined to wait for
the official version, but if you are really in a hurry email me & I can
give you some pointers.

				Dave Higgen