[comp.sys.sgi] tar, 3030 <=> sun

disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) (03/01/90)

Is there some reason why a tar tape created on a 3030 series machine
can't be read on a Sun 3/280?  Is it just me, or has anyone else
experienced difficulties. Blocking factors are the same, the 3030 tar
seems to have 512 byte records that can't (according to the man page)
be changed.  the man page on the Sun doesn't say what byte record it
uses, or how to change that either.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx a lot,

Jim Disbrow

work: 805/258-3417

internet:  disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
  Brain. Brain. What is brain?
      -- Kara the Eymorg, "Spock's Brain," stardate 5432.3.

rogerk@mips.COM (Roger B.A. Klorese) (03/01/90)

In article <437@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
>Is there some reason why a tar tape created on a 3030 series machine
>can't be read on a Sun 3/280?  Is it just me, or has anyone else
>experienced difficulties. Blocking factors are the same, the 3030 tar
>seems to have 512 byte records that can't (according to the man page)
>be changed.  the man page on the Sun doesn't say what byte record it
>uses, or how to change that either.

SGI systems write their tapes byte-swapped.  You must do the following:

	dd if=<my-tape-drive> conv=swab | tar xf -
--
ROGER B.A. KLORESE      MIPS Computer Systems, Inc.      phone: +1 408 720-2939
MS 4-02    928 E. Arques Ave.  Sunnyvale, CA  94086             rogerk@mips.COM

daveh@xtenk.sgi.com (David A Higgen) (03/02/90)

In article <437@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov>, disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
> Is there some reason why a tar tape created on a 3030 series machine
> can't be read on a Sun 3/280?

They're byte-swapped relative to each other. Just use dd on the reading
machine to swap the bytes before feeding to tar.

			Dave Higgen

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (03/02/90)

     I have tried it before with no success.  Someone said once
that you needed to use dd I believe and some byte swapping.  I
tried their suggestion, but that didn't work either.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

mitch@rock.sgi.com (Tom Mitchell) (03/03/90)

In article <437@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov> disbrow@skipper.dfrf.nasa.gov (Jim Disbrow) writes:
* Is there some reason why a tar tape created on a 3030 series machine
* can't be read on a Sun 3/280?  Is it just me, or has anyone else

Depending on how the tape controler and interface were
built there may be a byte sex, byte order problem.  There
are two common flavors Big Endian and Little Endian.  Things
get strange when the procesor on the controler is not the
same as the main processor.

Anyhow, this is a common problem and 'dd' has an option (conv=swab)
in it to help with the problem.  Recently SGI as well as other
UNIX vendors have been adding byte swap code directly to
the tape device drivers.  On 4D's look for /dev/tapens.

Scan the man pages until this makes sense.

	dd if=/dev/tape conv=swab | tar tvf -

Then try it.

One other thing -- there are three common physical formats in tape land.
Some tape devices can mix and match.  Check the Sun's mt man
page.  You want to be using the sun QIC-24 flavor device.

Also watch QIC-24 vs. QIC-150 devices.   QIC-150 drives can
read but not write QIC-24.  Tis sort a one way trap for some.

  Thomas P. Mitchell   --  mitch@sgi.com
	"All things in moderation; including moderation."