[net.news.group] On the fate of net.general

mark (04/22/83)

Well, in the past couple of weeks, net.general has become a total
hodgepodge that it's hard to imagine anyone wanting to read.
The entire continent of Europe has turned it off, and I've gotten
complaints from Americans as well.  This has to stop.

I've been reading about derivations of English words (which belongs
in net.nlang), on the origin of the word "UNIX" (looks like it's time
for Jerry to post netiquette again, with an addition), commercial
use of the network (net.news or net.mail), cat names (net.pets),
seminar announcements for Rutgers (good grief), pocketknife uses,
whether Ga. Tech is on the net, and other mindless drivel.  (There
have even been a few people using it in accordance with the announced
policy - queries and announcements).  I also see followups getting
put in net.general.

I think it's time we did something.  We already have a separate
newsgroup for queries (net.wanted), and it's hard to put a finger
on the difference - net.wanted seems to be for things that aren't
as important as net.general.  Perhaps it's time to kill off net.general
and create net.announcements (anybody have a shorter name that reads
as well?)  Perhaps it's also time to put some controls on the
announcement newsgroup - e.g. put a moderator on it.

What do you think?  Followup to net.news.group only, please!

	Mark Horton

alb (04/23/83)

I have a shorter name for net.announcements:  net.general

A group like this is impossible to kill.  People will always
use it.  It is sort of hardwired into the net.

I always have and still do disagree with the idea of moderation:
The whole concept of USENET is the bulletin board, to which you
can post an article and have it circulated with some essence of
speed.  Having a moderator would not only slow things down
considerably, it would put a tremendous load on the site which
the moderator uses (all that incoming and outgoing traffic,
doubled:  Once to/from the moderator, once to/from the net)
It would also bring things to a halt if/when that site went
down.

Unfortunately, I can't offer a solution:  There is no easy
one.  I think what we are going to have to rely on is
peer pressure:  If you see something wrong, write a POLITE
letter to the offender and inform him/her of the mistake.
In this way, newcomers will be correctly guided to the
proper use of the net and they won't get discouraged by
flamers who feel they have the right to jump down
people's throats at the first sign of a mistake.

ricks (04/26/83)

#R:cbosgd:-346800:ucbcad:1300001:000:636
ucbcad!ricks    Apr 26 09:13:00 1983

I have one problem with creating 'net.announce'.   Not that it is
being created, but that it is being discussed and announced in
'net.news'.   I would bet that a large majority of the people
who post 'I'm looking for Bob Wombat', 'What is the net
address of the University of New South Wales', or 'Rutgers
Seminar Announcements' to 'net.general' do not read this newsgroup.
Therefore, these people will continue to submit to 'net.general'
and try to submit to 'net.announce' (may not work if everybody is
running 2.10, but everybody is not and probably won't for a while).

				Rick Spickelmier

				..!ucbvax!ricks
				ricks@berkeley

done (04/27/83)

Why don't you call it "net.world" instead of "net.announce" or
"net.general".  It seems to me that it would then be clear where it
goes, and people would be a bit more discouraged to post trivial news
items in it (most of us are at least a little shy when confronted with
the world in its entirety).

One of the problems I've noticed with "net.general" is that new subscribers
to netnews have no idea of the scope of that newsgroup (they may think
it goes only to people in their own company/university/etc.).  Indeed,
many may not be aware of the scope of Usenet itself.  The use of the
name "net.announce" wouldn't solve this problem ("gee, maybe I'll announce
my beer party this Saturday night...").

To summarize, I think more geography-specific newsgroup names might give
a better indication of the scope of those newsgroups that are not devoted
to specific topics.

Don Ellis
Tektronix

smk (04/28/83)

	Do we want net.mod.foo or net.foo.mod?  In the former, we have a
subnet of moderated newsgroups.  In the latter, we have newsgroups with
a .mod qualifier.  (I guess it's like having c.prog rather than prog.c.)
If people are serious about moderated groups, the latter approach is better
in the sense that disgruntled sites can put !net.mod into their
sys (and .newsrc) files but probably won't (or have a harder time)
singling out all the groups.  The two approaches are different
on appearances only, not on functionality.  If you want
mod to be naturally accepted to various newsgroups, I propose the latter
implementations so that the mod is attached to the group and the group is
NOT attached to mod.

These views represent the opinion of this installation and not of the
author (how's that for a change?).

john (04/28/83)

Since a moderated news group is almost a new genre of information
exchange, why couldn't we name a moderated group as mod.foo instead
of net.mod.foo or net.foo.mod ?

Here's one vote for mod.announce

chris (04/28/83)

A major drawback of mod.announce would be that all of the news
administrators would have to explicitly allow it.  Everyone has net.all
in their /usr/lib/news/sys files now, and it would take quite a bit of
work to convince everyone to simultaneously add the new category.

Of course, this could be considered a plus, if the people who want to
do this want to allow sites to decide whether to accept another class
of newsgroups with the capacity for being nearly as large (if articles
are posted to both groups) as net.all is now.  Well, maybe that's not
too likely, but if it catches on, who knows?

jsq (04/30/83)

How about:

net.announce	to be moderated by Mark Horton,
net.important	to have a nasty recording but not be moderated, and
net.general	to be taken out of the default list of newsgroups read
		by readnews, but otherwise left as it is now.

That should satisfy all factions.

george (04/30/83)

As I understand Mark's suggestion,
"net.announce" would be intended for those
articles that "net.general" is now intended,
but with a moderator, and "net.general" would then
be an alternative to "net.misc".

I agree with others that the name "net.announce"
might be prone to contain arbitrary announcements.
If such a scheme were adopted,
"net.readonly" might be a better group name
for articles that "net.general" is now intended.
"net.general" could then be retired.

Unfortunately I think there are several problems with
Mark's suggestion, which I will outline later in this article.
I suspect that the biggest cause of the problems in "net.general"
is both lack of net education of many of the submitters
and the continuing addition of new users to the network.

I think that reordering the contents of the "active" file
so that "net.misc" is shown by readnews before
"net.general" would be worth trying as a less drastic measure.
This in itself might reduce the number of inappropriate
articles in "net.general".

Mark's suggested solution has two aspects.
It both creates a replacement group for articles
requiring universal distribution
and it restricts that group's submissions to those
articles which the moderator accepts.
I will first discuss problems with changing the name of "net.general".
Effort has already been expended to cause "net.general"
to be nearly universal in both site distribution and
reader subscription.
This would be much harder to do with a new group.
Documentation is heavily distributed that already details
that "net.general" is the group that has universal subscription.
	"Articles to be read by everyone on the whole net."*
This would all have to be retracted.
Unless moderating the group is successful,
the new group (particularly if it is named "net.announce")
is apt to have the same symptoms in the not too distant future.
It is unclear to me that cooperation would be sufficient
for the moderating of "net.announce" to be successful.
If "net.announce" can be successfully moderated,
why not simply moderate "net.general"?
I do not feel that the time lags, redundant transfers,
or vacation outages are serious problems in moderating this group.

As I stated previously, I suspect that much of the problem
is net education.  This is probably the area that should be addressed.
Perhaps if very simple brief documentation were conspicuously available
it would help.

		George Rosenberg
		idis!george

--------
*  This description of "net.general" was taken from our copy
   of the news documentation.
   I do not know if there is a more recent copy that obsoletes this.
   Its description of "net.misc" seems to me to be inappropriate,
   and may be contributing to the difficulties in "net.general".

		"Miscellaneous discussions that start
		in net.general but are not permanent
		enough for their own newsgroup."

   Perhaps this should be changed to:

		"Miscellaneous discussions that are
		not yet permanent enough for their
		own newsgroup.  In no case should
		such topics be posted in 'net.general'.
		A new group should not be formed unless
		it is agreed upon in 'net.news.group'."

furuta@uw-beaver.UUCP (05/03/83)

Relay-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site burl.UUCP
Posting-Version:version B 2.10 gamma 4/3/83; site uw-beaver
Path:burl!spanky!ihnp4!houxm!npoiv!npois!hou5f!ariel!vax135!cornell!uw-beaver!furuta
Date:Tue, 3-May-83 00:38:52 EDT
Organization:U of Washington Computer Science

Mark,

Let me suggest two things about your proposal.  One, pick a more
explicit, more scary name (I know, I suggested this before) than
net.announce.  This is an attempt to try and prevent inappropriate
postings before rather than after they happen (and to reduce your
workload).  Two, I liked your idea (in a personal note) of calling the
group net.mod.foo better because it makes the moderated nature of the
group explicit.  Indeed, it might be worth thinking about having both
net.foo and net.mod.foo where net.foo was the unmoderated version of
net.mod.foo.

				--Rick

mason (05/08/83)

We have several regional groups that U of Toronto gets/sends mail to,
including can.???? and ont.???? for Canadian & Ontario specific info.
  These are where things like colloquia (sp?) are posted.

  The moderated news groups sound similar to the current digests, which
I find very useful.  The only problem is *who* has the time?  I vote
with genrad!john for mod.announce