[comp.sys.sgi] Exabyte drive

buchanan@cs.ubc.ca (John Buchanan) (03/06/90)

Has any one managed to hook up a 3rd party exabyte drive to a sgi box?
I just spend a whole day going through the documentation and I cannot seem
to find the exact set of commands to issue.  Since I am waiting for a cable
I have been forced to hack with out touching the computer :-(, probably safer
in the long run :-).

My guess is that I simply set it up as a quarter inch drive and let the
SCSI driver handle the rest.  This is probably incorrect, but it seems like
a good place to start.  Does any one have any better advise?

|					|===============================|
|	John Buchanan (juancho)		|	buchanan@cs.ubc.ca	|
|	Imager Manager			|===============================|
|	Imager				|	(604) 228-2218		|
|	Department of Computer Science	|===============================|
|	University of British Columbia	|	Standard disclaimer	|
|	Vancouver, BC, Canada		|	included in this	|
|					|	box, right here.	|

markb@denali.sgi.com (Mark Bradley) (03/07/90)

In article <7016@ubc-cs.UUCP>, buchanan@cs.ubc.ca (John Buchanan) writes:
> My guess is that I simply set it up as a quarter inch drive and let the
> SCSI driver handle the rest.  This is probably incorrect, but it seems like
> a good place to start.  Does any one have any better advise?

1st, be running 3.2 s/w release.  Next, address the drive as 6, preferably.
Next, look in /dev/mt.  There will be several devices with 6 as the address.
there are nr, ns, and v and combinations thereof.  All will talk to the
Exabyte drive...   There are *some* drives that give back a vendor specific
string on an inquiry, and there is some problem talking to the drive if
that is so, as the s/w has no way of `knowing' what the heck it is.

							markb

--
Mark Bradley				"Faster, faster, until the thrill of
I/O Subsystems				 speed overcomes the fear of death."

 Disclaimer:  Anything I say is my opinion.  If someone else wants to use it,
             it will cost...