[comp.sys.sgi] Flight, how to dogfight?

lonhyn@ew01..nas.nasa.gov (Lonhyn T. Jasinskyj) (03/02/90)

I have been trying to dogfight in the flight simulator (under Irix 3.2)
and am having problems (dogfighting, or trying to).  I am befuddled on
a couple of points:

   1) Why do dog and shadow always crash telling me that I need an
       entry in /etc/services that I already have? (i.e. sgi-dogfight 5130/udp)
   2) What is the difference between dog and shadow
   3) Where is the documentation (besides the man page on flight), e.g.
       what is the -d option?  I know what -h is.  How does one specify
       the machine that one wants to fight?

I am missing something obvious?

Thanks,
Lonnie
        Email to: lonhyn@ew01.nas.nasa.gov     Human at: 415-604-3989

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (03/05/90)

In article <5084@amelia.nas.nasa.gov>, lonhyn@ew01..nas.nasa.gov (Lonhyn T. Jasinskyj) writes:
> I have been trying to dogfight in the flight simulator (under Irix 3.2)
> and am having problems ...
>  1) Why do dog and shadow always crash telling me that I need an
>      entry in /etc/services that I already have? (i.e. sgi-dogfight 5130/udp)
>  2) ...

It may be that YP has been turned on, which can be checked with
`chkconifg yp`.  If so, then the YP master database needs to have
the sgi-dogfight entry.  Please notice that the /etc/services we ship
has the entry commented out, because that port number is not registratable.

Future releases support dog with the new multicast stuff.  You may have
noticed that the first multicast address is reserved for the multicast
forwarder and the second is for dog.  This should mean that it will be
possible to run dog without crashing quite so many obsolete computers.

Vernon Schryver
Silicon Graphics
vjs@sgi.com

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (03/06/90)

    1) check /etc/services to make sure the entry for dogfight is not
       commented out.
    2) shadow allows passive observation of the dog environment, it is
       documented in the 3000 manuals, but I couldn't find it in the
       4D manual.
    3) dog broadcasts to EVERYONE so if anyone is doing dog on your
       network you will join them.  Dog FLOODS the network, so use
       it on small isolated networks, or it could cause a lot of
       problems.  Someone a while back posted patches so you could
       fight only one other machine.  There are also suppose to be
       some other similar patches.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

webster@topaz.rutgers.edu (John Clayton Webster) (03/06/90)

Lonhyn T. Jasinskyj writes:

   2) What is the difference between dog and shadow

I have never seen a man page for dog or flight. Don't feel left out.
Well, I suppose I can save you some time with the second point, so
here goes...

Dog allows you to connect to prerecorded flights and/or record
flights. I do not know if it allows you to connect to ongoing flights
on other machines, because I haven't ever used or had access to more
than one machine at a time. I believe it is just a flight option tho.
dog -i <prerecorded_flight> -o <output_record>. Layering recordings
can make quite nice scenarios. I have built a good five or six nice
and difficult enemy targets. You can select heads-up options as well.
Shadow allows you to enter a flight as a viewer. You bop around from
plane to plane at your whim looking at everything happening from any
plane angle you desire. I use it to examine recordings I make with
dog. I imagine it can be hooked up to a running flight fairly easily
also.

Hope this helps.

Clay Webster

tarolli@riva.esd.sgi.com (Gary Tarolli) (03/07/90)

I've resurrected the old IRIS-3000 man pages for dog and shadow for the next
release of IRIS-4D software.  I've also tried to bring them up to date.  So
be patient ... they're coming.

Think about the command "man dog" ... best friends or what???
--
						Gary Tarolli