[comp.sys.sgi] Apple Laser Printer support

LEONARDZ@VM.UOGUELPH.CA (Len Zaifman) (03/21/90)

     I am trying to hook up an apple laser writer to my Personal IRIS. I have
a cable made up and I can cp postscript_file /dev/ttyd2 and get the printout.
However, I initially want to set up the printer as my default printer so I just
need lp to print. The long range plan is to try to make the spool/print service
work from a PC running FTP software's version of PCnfs. Does anyone have the
proper filters for doing this ?? How can I set it up to install properly from
the system visual administration tools ?? ( I love 'em, but its annoying when
they are incomplete ).
        The main thing I want from the script, apart from allowing me to use lp
, is that it autodetects postscript and ascii files and prints both correctly.
If replies are mailed to me directly, I will post the results once I have a
working configuration.
       Thanks for your help.                                Regards,
                                                            Len Zaifman

Len Zaifman
Information Technology Coordinator,College of Physical and Engineering Science
Department of Computing Services
University of Guelph
Guelph,Ontario.  N1G 2W1
(519)821-4120 xt 6566
email : LeonardZ@VM.UOGUELPH.CA

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (03/21/90)

   I would use the visual administration tools to get started. Then go to
/usr/spool/lp/interface and edit the filter file that is there to match
your needs.  It seems to me that the Apple Laserwriters will print a file
as ASCII if it can't find a "%!" on the first line first two columns.
If those two characters are there then it treats the file as PostScript.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (03/22/90)

In article <9003202126.aa14337@SMOKE.BRL.MIL> LEONARDZ@VM.UOGUELPH.CA (Len Zaifman) writes:

>     I am trying to hook up an apple laser writer to my Personal IRIS. I have
>a cable made up and I can cp postscript_file /dev/ttyd2 and get the printout.
>However, I initially want to set up the printer as my default printer so I just
>need lp to print. The long range plan is to try to make the spool/print service
>work from a PC running FTP software's version of PCnfs. Does anyone have the
>proper filters for doing this ?? How can I set it up to install properly from
>the system visual administration tools ?? ( I love 'em, but its annoying when
>they are incomplete ).
>        The main thing I want from the script, apart from allowing me to use lp
>, is that it autodetects postscript and ascii files and prints both correctly.
>If replies are mailed to me directly, I will post the results once I have a
>working configuration.

You may run into a snag here. If you have your printer setup in PostScript
mode, all documents sent to it must also be PostScript.  Since your application
outputs PS, all you'll need to do is convert the ascii to PS, and print it.
There are a a few public domain packages that do that, or you can buy the
Trans/Laser pkg from SGI. What you'll get is the interface files that will
detect whether the file is ascii, IRIS image format, or PS, and "do the right
thing". The system manager uses the interface that comes with Trans, so you
can use it to setup the Laser.  Or, if you use you own ascii -> PS converter,
use the Dumb/Generic script from the System Manager, which just sends what
you give it to the port.

>How can I set it up to install properly from
>the system visual administration tools ?? ( I love 'em, but its annoying when
>they are incomplete ).

Sorry you think they are incomplete, but Adobe charges us for Trans, so we
can't include it in the system for free (same goes for Sun, et al.)

As for the interface between PCnfs and printing, there are a couple of things
you can do.  I haven't seen FTPs version, but Sun's uses BSD-style lpd to
spool print jobs, not SysV lpsched.  Maybe FTPs version does both, or you
get the source and can modify it. Or you can wait until "a future release"
(nice ambiguous term there, Jack) when you will be able to use lpd on your
IRIS.

Cheers,

Jack P. Weldon (jweldon@sgi.com)     Fish and guests grow stale after 3 days
SGI Product Support		                           M.F.K. Fisher

rowe@cme.nist.gov (Walter Rowe) (03/22/90)

OK here's another question for you: I have a primarily-Sun network
with several printers on it.  I would like my printer-less SGI 4D/20
(on the same network - its successfully using YP also) to be able to
print to my sun printers.  Since there's no concept of a printcap file
in SGI's UNIX, I have no idea how to do this.

Please reply via direct e-mail.  I will summarize shortly.
Thanks,
-wpr

---
Walter P. Rowe, <rowe@cme.nist.gov>
System Administrator, Robot Systems Division

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (03/22/90)

    On the 3000's there is a script call mknetpr, I couldn't find it
on the 4D we have on loan.  Esentially what does is makes an interface
file and puts it into /usr/spool/lp/interface.  This file takes printer
requests rcp's them to the specified machine and then does an rsh using
the print spooler command of the remote machine.  So you have to have
the user name "lp" on the remote machine and a .rhosts file there so that
the rcp's and rsh's work. (Isn't Sys V printing fun, :-( )
--

					Brent

jweldon@renegade.sgi.com (Jack Weldon) (03/24/90)

In article <9003221615.AA07333@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates writes:

>    On the 3000's there is a script call mknetpr, I couldn't find it
>on the 4D we have on loan.
>--
	try /usr/sbin/mknetpr
Cheers,