[comp.sys.sgi] Cannot find window slot in shared memory

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (04/11/90)

In article <1990Apr4.175545.8339@alias.uucp>, mark@alias.uucp (Mark
Andrews) writes:
> We are running Irix 3.2 on a 4D/25G. Occasionally, when we run a graphics
> program, we get the errror "Cannot find window slot in shared memory". What
> does it mean and what causes it?
>
> When the message occurs, I have been telling people to quit and restart
> 4sight and the problem should disappear! Is this a "solution" or just a
> coincidence?

I know of 2 things that cause this message.  One is running a program linked
with a GT or Personal IRIS GL on a 4D/xxG machine.

The second is a bug in subwindow handling in 4Sight whereby it fails
to free the window slot when a subwindow is closed.  This is fixed in the
next release (3.n, where n is probably 3).

Restarting 4Sight is indeed a "solution".
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc