[comp.sys.sgi] Personal IRIS Neophyte asks dumb questions...

tima@polari.UUCP (tim anderson) (04/10/90)

I just begged and pleaded with my company, and they are sending me
the Personal IRIS that has been collecting dust at the home office. I
have a few questions, though...

First, I really really want to network my PC to this thing. What do
I have to do to get this working? I know step one is to get a WD8003
ethernet card, but beyond that I am a bit lost...

Second, I am a 'software developer' or at least my company is, and this
system will be used to port our existing application. I am interested in
getting the infamous $100 tape of SGI demos - and I will DIE if I can't get
a copy of 'flight simulator'...

Third, I want a NON BRAIN DEAD EDITOR, I use BRIEF religiously on my PC
and will SORELY miss using it. I really do not want to get very good at
'vi'...

Finally, is there an SGI office in Seattle that I could contact for some
hand holding while I get my feet off of the ground?

Of course the networking stuff has to be AS CHEAP AS POSSIBLE because I
work for a CHEAP company, and most of the cost of this stuff will come out
of MY pocket. It took me 10 months to finally get this computer, so I can't
push my luck too far.

ADthanksVANCE

tima@polari
uw-beaver!sumax!polari!tima

place really awesome .sig here

buck@drax.gsfc.nasa.gov (Loren (Buck) Buchanan) (04/11/90)

In article <1520@polari.UUCP> tima@polari (tim anderson) writes:
>First, I really really want to network my PC to this thing. What do
>I have to do to get this working? I know step one is to get a WD8003
>ethernet card, but beyond that I am a bit lost...

We use Sun's PC-NFS.  From the PCs (IBM clones and an Amiga 1000) we
can telnet and ftp from the IRIS.  we also use the IRIS as a file server
to the PCs.

>Third, I want a NON BRAIN DEAD EDITOR, I use BRIEF religiously on my PC
>and will SORELY miss using it. I really do not want to get very good at
>'vi'...

I would suggest that you seriously look at vi.  I use it on my PC at
home for most of my editing.  It does not get in my way, and has features
that do not exist in the other editors I use.  The big advantage to vi
is that is available on every UNIX system, and will be the first (and
possibly only) editor to be standardized by POSIX.

Good Luck & B Cing U

Buck
Loren "Buck" Buchanan | internet: buck@drax.gsfc.nasa.gov | standard disclaimer
CSC, 1100 West St.    | uucp: ...!ames!dftsrv!drax!buck   | "By the horns of a
Laurel, MD 20707      | phonenet: (301) 497-2531 or 9898  | sky demon..."

goss@SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) (04/12/90)

> Date: 10 Apr 90 15:37:31 GMT
> From: tim anderson <sumax!polari!tima@beaver.cs.washington.edu>
> Subject: Personal IRIS Neophyte asks dumb questions...
> Sender: info-iris-request@BRL.MIL
> To: info-iris@BRL.MIL

> First, I really really want to network my PC to this thing. What do
> I have to do to get this working? I know step one is to get a WD8003
> ethernet card, but beyond that I am a bit lost...

For cheap ethernet support, you can get NCSA Telnet for your PC.  This
software supplies Telnet and FTP commands, and comes with source if you
want to roll your own application.  It supports several different PC
Ethernet adapters.  I've used it some, and it seems to work quite well.
The only thing really lacking is file sharing, ala NFS (but for free
software, it's still pretty impressive). You can get this software via
anonymous FTP from "zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu", or via US Mail on diskette
if you don't have FTP (send me e-mail if you need US Mail address; I
don't have it handy at the moment).

> Third, I want a NON BRAIN DEAD EDITOR, I use BRIEF religiously on my PC
> and will SORELY miss using it. I really do not want to get very good at
> 'vi'...

Editors are somewhat of a religion; personally I'm an Emacs believer.
Since I switch around alot between machines, I've adopted Micro-Emacs
as my standard editor.  It's not as powerful as GNU, but it runs on
just about every machine in existence (PC, Mac, BSD Unix, System V, Amiga,
Atari, etc.).  You can get source for the cost of a phone call from the
author's BBS (or for a nominal fee from some of the public domain
software places).  The author and BBS are:

	Daniel M. Lawrence
	The Programmer's Room
	FIDO 201/2
	(317) 742-5533
	24 hours  300/1200 baud

If you want the full-up GNU Emacs (for the Iris; it won't fit on a PC),
I think it's available via anonymous FTP at "prep.ai.mit.edu", along
with other GNU stuff.  It's pretty huge, so you might be better off
finding someone who's already got it on tape.
Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.
(214)733-7018
goss@snow-white.merit-tech.com