[comp.sys.sgi] EMACS customization

miller2@flora.mmwb.ucsf.edu (Susan miller2%Cohen) (04/12/90)

Can someone tell me how to customize the EMACS editor for use with a Silicon
Graphics IRIS workstation? I would like to be able to use the function keys
at the top and the arrow keys particularly, but also other keys on the
keyboard which have no printed value. At the moment I'm getting an error
message about the key codes I'm using (down arrow for instance is ^[[A if
one can believe the quoted-insert response but this code gives problems in
fact).

Susan Miller

root@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU (04/12/90)

If you are using Unipress brand emacs, I can help you a lot.

The unipress release is not very good, but emacs is so flexible that
you can fix most of the anoying problems. The serious problems are another
matter. Your release should have a file ansi-iris.ml in the maclib directory.

You can configure it from inside emacs. Make certain that your
TERM environment var is set to ansi-iris ( This assumes that you are not using
a bitmap driver. That is initalized from another file ). Edit ansi-iris.ml
by changing the ""quoted literals by doing a control-q force literal command
inside emacs. You would 1) put the cursor over the "x", control-q<press the
button you want over the function you want bound to your key>, then
write-modified files, then reload the changed code by 'load iris-ansi.ml'.

Press the button you just configured, and if it does what you want, you
have cofigured you emacs. I have extended the buttons on the keyboard
by using a prefix key. A shift up arrow moves by screen fulls, if you want,
or a shift right arrow will move by words. You can make your emacs unusable
by anyone except yourself if you want.

I do not know gnu emacs, but I think that it should be similar. If anyone knows
better, I would like to hear from you too. I would like to see more
menu help and a function key label line on the screen. I am working on
making that for character terminals and the iris screen. If more people
are interested, I will post my efforts here.

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |

fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (04/12/90)

> Susan miller2%Cohen <flora.mmwb.ucsf.edu!miller2@cgl.ucsf.edu>  writes:
>
> Can someone tell me how to customize the EMACS editor for use with a Silicon
> Graphics IRIS workstation? I would like to be able to use the function keys
> at the top and the arrow keys particularly, but also other keys on the
> keyboard which have no printed value. At the moment I'm getting an error
> message about the key codes I'm using (down arrow for instance is ^[[A if
> one can believe the quoted-insert response but this code gives problems in
> fact).

Back in 1987 I wrote a Wordstar/Turbo-whatever editor emulator using
Unipress Emacs.  This worked well on the 3030's but I never ported it to
the 4D's and has since lost interest in Emacs altogether (fell from grace,
if you will).  But fear not for my soul, I have become a born again believer
in "vi"

Anyway, here are a few lines from the .emacs_pro file which worked to set up
the keys on the older Iris's, perhaps it will ring a bell for you.  I seem to
remember something about using emacs to do the "bind-to-key function" then
pressing the key which you want the function bound to?

Good Luck.  If anyone is intersted in the entire function to emulate the
Wordstart editor, let me know.

;* Function:  emacs2ws
;* version:   1.3
;* date:      July 27, 1987

;* An MLisp function which is executed each time Emacs is entered.

;* This file is to be copied into the users home directory as ".emacs_pro"

;*
;* Set up the arrow keys and delete keys
;*

(bind-to-key "previous-line"         "\033A")
(bind-to-key "next-line"             "\033B")
(bind-to-key "backward-character"    "\033D")
(bind-to-key "forward-character"     "\033C")
(bind-to-key "delete-next-character" "\177")

Tony Facca   |   fsfacca@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318
      You are at Witt's end.  Passages lead off in *all* directions.