[comp.sys.sgi] QuickPaint

bobf@CLCIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU ("Robert B. Funchess") (05/29/90)

Have I managed to overlook a program that will turn SGI image format files
into QuickPaint files, or does such a beast not exist?
--
Bob Funchess					bobf@blumiris.chem.umr.edu
Chemistry Dept.					University of Missouri - Rolla

pbreslin@alias.UUCP (Paul Breslin) (05/29/90)

QuickPaint itself should read in SGI format images. If I assume you mean
RGB images, QuickPaint should dither the image into the default NeWS
colormap and provide you with a warning that the image has been reduced
to 8 bits. Remember that QuickPaint is not an RGB paint program. It
operates in colormap mode and saves images in SGI color index format
along with a corresponding colormap file.

" ratcliffe) (05/30/90)

In article <9005281929.AA03813@clciris.chem.umr.edu> bobf@CLCIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU ("Robert B. Funchess") writes:
>Have I managed to overlook a program that will turn SGI image format files
>into QuickPaint files, or does such a beast not exist?

so you first want to see if /usr/people/4Dgifts is loaded on yer system(s).
if not, you can either load the eoe2.sw.moregltools subsystem off yer EOE2
tape, or load dev.sw.giftssrc off yer DEV tape.  (look in the release notes
for instructions of how to unload the dev.sw.giftssrc or "4Dgifts" subsystem)
if eoe2.sw.moregltools is alreay loaded use the file /usr/sbin/toalias to
convert yer SGI image file into an alias file.  OR if /usr/people/4Dgifts
is loaded (it's configured as a sample login account--like /usr/people/guest--
only its got alot of stuff included) become 4Dgifts user (su - 4Dgifts), or
if there is not entry in the /etc/passwd, become guest user, and go to
/usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools, then
% cd libgutil
% make
% cd ../libimage
% make
% cd ../imgtools
% make toalias
and at this point, you'll have the executable that will convert an SGI image
file into an ALIAS (i.e. quickpaint/quickmodel) image file format.
--
                                             daveus rattus

                                   yer friendly neighborhood ratman

                              KOYAANISQATSI

   ko.yan.nis.qatsi (from the Hopi Language)  n.  1. crazy life.  2. life
     in turmoil.  3. life out of balance.  4. life disintegrating.
     5. a state of life that calls for another way of living.

pbreslin@alias.UUCP (Paul Breslin) (05/31/90)

> /usr/people/4Dgifts/iristools, then
> % cd libgutil
> % make
> % cd ../libimage
> % make
> % cd ../imgtools
> % make toalias
> and at this point, you'll have the executable that will convert an SGI image
> file into an ALIAS (i.e. quickpaint/quickmodel) image file format.
> --
> 											 daveus rattus

It is true that "toalias" converts from SGI RGB format to Alias RGB format.
What is *not* true is that QuickPaint and QuickModel use Alias format.
So please don't waste your time with the above process if you hope to
deal with QuickPaint image files.

As mentioned before, QuickPaint uses SGI colorindex format in combination
with a saved SGI colormap file. Refer to the SGI image library source
in 4Dgifts/iristools/libimage for the gory details.

cheers,
Paul Breslin