[comp.sys.sgi] Linking X programs

blue@cam.nist.gov (Jim Blue) (06/01/90)

I am trying to link the simplest widget example from the Athena widget set,
the "Hello world" example, xhw.c

My cflags are -I/usr/include/bsd, and my libraries are
-lXt -lX11 -lbsd -lm

The linker can't find XtAppInitialize, which should be in the Xt library,
but isn't on my Personal Iris, release 3.2

Can this really be the case, or am I making a beginner's error?

Jim Blue, NIST
blue@azure.cam.nist.gov

jsw@xhead.esd.sgi.com (Jeff Weinstein) (06/03/90)

In article <3712@fs1.cam.nist.gov>, blue@cam.nist.gov (Jim Blue) writes:

> My cflags are -I/usr/include/bsd, and my libraries are
> -lXt -lX11 -lbsd -lm

  You need '-lXaw -lXt -lX11 -lsun -lbsd'.

	--Jeff

Jeff Weinstein - X Protocol Police
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems
jsw@xhead.esd.sgi.com
Any opinions expressed above are mine, not sgi's.

blue@cam.nist.gov (Jim Blue) (06/06/90)

In article <3712@fs1.cam.nist.gov> I wrote:

>I am trying to link the simplest widget example from the Athena widget set,
>the "Hello world" example, xhw.c
>The linker can't find XtAppInitialize, which should be in the Xt library,
>but isn't on my Personal Iris, release 3.2

The problem (which was found by a colleague, not anyone from SGI)
is that XtAppInitialize is an X11R4 program, but IRIX 3.2 has X11R3 libraries.
I had picked up the R4 version of the Xaw examples by mistake. The R3 version
of xhw.c uses XtInitialize.

Thanks to those who responded.