[comp.sys.sgi] Unable to login if the login directory is NFS mounted ?

tarnoff@cme.nist.gov (Nicholas Tarnoff) (06/28/90)

I have tried several times to manually add a /etc/passwd entry in
order for a user to login to a home directory that is NFS mounted.

The result is that the user has no console or toolchests.

Perhaps there is a default configuration file for the console and
toolchests which is no found when logging into NFS mounted home
directories.

Do you have any idea how to resolve this problem ?

Thank you for your help !

-Nicholas

Nicholas Tarnoff                         TELE: (301) 975-3464
NIST, Robot Systems Division              FAX: (301) 990-9688
tarnoff@cme.nist.gov                     UUCP: uunet!cme-durer!tarnoff

National Institute of Standards and Technology (formerly NBS)
Bldg. 220 / Rm B127    Gaithersburg, MD 20899

martinm@kmart.sgi.com (martin) (06/28/90)

In article <4846@marvin.cme.nist.gov> tarnoff@cme.nist.gov (Nicholas Tarnoff) writes:

>I have tried several times to manually add a /etc/passwd entry in
>order for a user to login to a home directory that is NFS mounted.
>
>The result is that the user has no console or toolchests.

there is/was a bug in 3.2 where users with nfs mounted home directories
would lsoe things. the problem occured if there was anything in .login
or .cshrc that began with capital L set in a setenv statement, ie
if this line were in .cshrc " setenv LINES 40". this is one possibility
that i know of. hope it helps.

Martin McDonald
SGI
			Life is unpredictable.
			  Eat dessert first.

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (06/28/90)

In article <4846@marvin.cme.nist.gov>, tarnoff@cme.nist.gov (Nicholas Tarnoff) writes:
> I have tried several times to manually add a /etc/passwd entry in
> order for a user to login to a home directory that is NFS mounted.
>
> The result is that the user has no console or toolchests.

The most familiar cause is confusion among host name databases.

Do the chests & console come up on the home machine (i.e. without NFS)?
    If not, then the problem is with NeWS and perhaps the user's user.ps

If so, can you log into the account via telnet or rlogin?
    If not, then ensure that the home directories are properly
    mounted where the passwd database says they are--i.e. check `ls ~user`

If so, other problems might involve having too many environment variables
    or something.  Perhaps the .cshrc or .login are running a command
    that does not work on the local machine.
    Perhaps the user.ps is fancy and fiddling with the network.

vjs