Posting-Version:version B 2.10 5/3/83; site cbosgd.UUCP
Date:Fri, 6-May-83 15:09:30 EDT
Organization:Bell Labs, Columbus

Re: net.std.unix as the proposed newsgroup name.

While in general I agree with his observations, I propose that we
call the first newsgroup net.std and carry on the UNIX standards
discussion there.  If discussion of multiple standards then starts
to occur in the main group, a subgroup can be branched off.  That
way, we don't wind up with more than one newsgroup if we only need
one, and we provide a place for new standards discussions to try
to start without actually creating a newsgroup that might not fly.

Why net.std?  net.standards.all is too long for older news implementations.
While 2.10 does exist and is not subject to this limit, it's too soon
to assume that 2.9 is all replaced, and notesfiles also has this limit.
Also, net.std is easier to type and seems as easy to read.

	Mark

mjl (05/08/83)

I think Mark Horton has the right idea: start with net.std, and let it  evolve
into  subgroups  if  necessary.   With net.std, at least there's a place where
general standards questions can be brought up (by analogy  to  net.lang).   If
things  start  going  off  in  many  directions, persons engaged in long-term,
specific discussions can always drop into a subgroup.

I also like the abbreviation of net.standards to net.std: terse  and  cryptic,
in the best tradition of Our Favorite Operating System.

Mike Lutz
{seismo,allegra}!rochester!ritcv!mjl

jwp (05/09/83)

Relay-Version:version B 3/9/83; site harpo.UUCP
Date:Mon, 9-May-83 11:56:05 EDT

Record another vote for "net.std".

			John Pierce, Chemistry, UC San Diego
			{ucbvax, philabs}!sdcsvax!sdchema!jwp