[comp.sys.sgi] yp and named

loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) (07/02/90)

	Hey ho.....

	We just received our 3rd Personal IRIS so I decided it was time to
turn on the Yellow Pages.  I followed the easy-to-follow instruction without
much problem.  However, one of our users immediately discovered that rlogin
no longer uses the named to resolve addresses.  Instead it has reverted back
to the pre-named behaviour of using /etc/hosts, or rather, the yp hosts
database imported from the master yp server.

	This is undesirable behaviour.  How can I force rlogin to go back
to using the named?  Are there any other nasty suprises in store for
me?  I have looked at the manuals for info regarding rlogin/named/yp but
have found nothing relevant.

	BTW: We are running IRIX 3.2.2 on 4D/20, 4D/25 and 4D/25.

Thanks in advance,

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

	<< Waxing frees the mind and makes the legs smooth >>

rgb@PHY.DUKE.EDU ("Robert G. Brown") (07/02/90)

In BSD Unix, there is a special line in the hosts databases (in
their ASCII form) that must be present in order for the "made"
database to use the named when a name is not in the local host
table.

Note that with YP on, ALL host names are resolved via the YP.
It is the responsibility of the YP to use the named or not as
required.

If you look at the YP makefile (assuming that SGI has one) there
should be a line like:
NAMED=-b
which is a flag, passed to makedbm (read the man page), that tells
it to use "network interdomain" for unknown hosts, i.e. the named.
I would bet that this line is commented out in your makefile,
hence your problem.

      Rob Brown
      Duke University Physics Dept.
      Durham, NC 27707

Nonstandard disclaimer:  This is all Duke University's opinion.  I
don't have opinions, I just work here.  If it turns out to be wrong,
well, tough. :-)

rgb@PHY.DUKE.EDU ("Robert G. Brown") (07/02/90)

On a closer examination of our SG 220S (it's useful, sometimes, to
actually look >>before<< you answer somebody's question) it looks
like SGI's yp version does not support the -b option for makedbm.
It therefore has no line
NAMED=-b
with the matching references in the hosts section.  And (presumably)
it won't use the named when the YP are on.  Unless there is an
undocumented -b option (possibility 1) or unless SG has a clever way
of making the yp use named different from BSD.

So I guess the guys at SG will have to answer this one.  Rats!  Just when
I thought, 'Hey, I know the answer to that...'

    Rob Brown
    etc.

ccc141j@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (George Scott) (07/02/90)

In article <9007020245.AA05883@frodo.Physics.McGill.CA>, loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:

> 	This is undesirable behaviour.  How can I force rlogin to go back
> to using the named [with YP enabled]?

This one has been bugging me too.  After your news article I decided to look
closer at it.  After following a chain of about 20 man pages I came across
ypserv.

All you have to do is put "-i" into the file "/etc/config/ypserv.options" on
all the machines that are YP servers.

George.

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (07/03/90)

In article <1990Jul2.093719.8640@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au> ccc141j@monu6.cc.monash.edu.au (George Scott) writes:
>In article <9007020245.AA05883@frodo.Physics.McGill.CA>, loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:
>>
>> 	This is undesirable behaviour.  How can I force rlogin to go back
>> to using the named [with YP enabled]?
>
>All you have to do is put "-i" into the file "/etc/config/ypserv.options" on
>all the machines that are YP servers.

Both master and slave servers must have "-i" in ypserv.options and they must
have a properly configured /usr/etc/resolv.conf that specifies the DNS
server address(es) and domain name. Note that the YP database is checked
before querying the name server.

In IRIX 3.3, you can bypass YP for all hostname lookups with a
"hostresorder" entry  line in /usr/etc/resolv.conf. See resolver(4)
and Ch. 8 in the new Network Communications guide for details.

In article <9007020457.AA22553@physics.phy.duke.edu>
> Unless there is an
>undocumented -b option (possibility 1) or unless SG has a clever way
>of making the yp use named different from BSD.

1) You really mean SunOS -- 4.xBSD UNIX from Berkeley does NOT support YP.
2) IRIX doesn't use the makedbm -b option. See ypserv(1M).