[comp.sys.sgi] workspace comments

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU (07/09/90)

Sorry for this terse note, but I am heads down busy on this project. Before
I forget these notes, I thought it better to telegraph them to you.

1) Workspace whould not fire up when you log in from a tty line even if
it is in your profile. How can I check in my .login script that 1) it it
is not running already ? or 2) That I am not connected to a window server ?.

If you kill workspace (for various reasons) and reopen a wsh window,
how can you keep it from restarting ?.

For development work, a developers environment mode or script would be apprecica
   ted.

If you are interested, I have hacked the nawk scripts to compress the size
of my *.ftr rules. If you want to look, let me know. Also, can you pipe files
into the ftr compiler ? Then you do not need intermediate ftr files. You
could go directly to *.ctr files ( and save disk space)

Any hope for a #line directive(so that the ftr compiler will report line
numbers directly from the rtr and fti files ?

While it is not an issue right now, iconsmith needs more work, or I need
more documentation as to how it works. The scale/translate/rotate functions
are hard to get to come up consistently. What about using the digitizer pad
to trace drawings and let more skilled artists types do the work.

Is there a way to put up a collection of .fti files directly ? I need
a fti file viewer( not editor) to look at the collection of fti files and
document them. We need a collection of text/large letters geometries for fti.

I would not cavil except that I am using it so hard.
dan.
| karron@nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |

robert@texas.esd.sgi.com (Robert Skinner) (07/10/90)

In article <9007091749.AA27450@mcirps2.med.nyu.edu>,
karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

|> Sorry for this terse note, but I am heads down busy on this project. Before
|> I forget these notes, I thought it better to telegraph them to you.
|>
|> 1) Workspace whould not fire up when you log in from a tty line even if
|> it is in your profile. How can I check in my .login script that 1) it it
|> is not running already ? or 2) That I am not connected to a window server ?.
|>
|> If you kill workspace (for various reasons) and reopen a wsh window,
|> how can you keep it from restarting ?.
|>
|> For development work, a developers environment mode or script would
be apprecica
|>    ted.

Start up workspace from your user.ps, not your .login.
That will eliminate both of your problems.

Robert Skinner
robert@sgi.com

	It is better to burn out than to fade away.

betsy@vesuvius.esd.sgi.com (Betsy Zeller) (07/10/90)

In article <9007091749.AA27450@mcirps2.med.nyu.edu> karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>1) Workspace whould not fire up when you log in from a tty line even if
>it is in your profile. How can I check in my .login script that 1) it it
>is not running already ? or 2) That I am not connected to a window server ?.

This is just a subset of the problem you have when you normally start up
on the monitor, but sometimes login from a tty line. Given that (in the
case of WorkSpace), the tool is available from the System chest, you might
want to remove the requests to start up WorkSpace automatically, and just
start it up when you want it.

>If you kill workspace (for various reasons) and reopen a wsh window,
>how can you keep it from restarting ?.

If you do want to start up WorkSpace when you login to the system, the best
way to do it is to set 'Workspace On' from the User tool in the System
Adminstrator. (Choose System manager from the System tool chest, open the
User tool, select the icon which represents your account, open it, and select
the 'On' button beside WorkSpace.) This will start it when you first login,
but doesn't tie the request to each time you execute your .login or .profile,
or whatever.

Betsy Zeller
betsy@sgi.com