[comp.sys.sgi] Ray-tracing

loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) (07/10/90)

	Does anyone know if any of the currently available PD ray-tracing
packages is particularly useful on the IRIS?  A 4D/25 in our case.
The best known one I would guess would be the MTV RayTracer.  But how
easy it to use with the existing IRIS graphics library?

Regards,

Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca
Physics, McGill University	fax:   (514) 398-3733
Montreal Quebec CANADA		phone: (514) 398-6531

	<< Waxing frees the mind and makes the legs smooth >>

davis@ADENOSINE.PHARM.UTAH.EDU ("Darrell R. Davis") (07/11/90)

I have been using a ray tracing program called RASTER3D on my 4D/20
for molecular modeling.  The quality of the images are better than any
of the commercial packages that I have seen for this purpose.
Although this is a specialized application, there may be something
useful for your purpose.  Here is some information that I pulled out of
the README file that is part of the package and also a part of the man
page for "render" which may be of interest.  I do know that as of
last fall (1989), David Bacon was at CARB in Maryland, the addresses
below may give you a lead.

     RENDER(1G)      UNIX System V (RASTER3D commands)      RENDER(1G)

     NAME
          render - make an image file from some 3D objects

     SYNOPSIS
          render [ file ]

     DESCRIPTION
          Render accepts a file (standard input by default) containing
          some control information and parameters describing a set of
          coloured spheres and triangles in 3-space, and produces an
          image file on the standard output acceptable to dither(1G).
          Normally, render is invoked implicitly by orb(1G) or
          scene(1G), and the image is piped to dither automatically.

          The algorithm used by render is described in Bacon, D.J. &
          Anderson, W.F., "A Fast Algorithm for Rendering Images of
          Solid Objects with Shadows, and Its Application in Making
          Pictures of Molecules," manuscript in preparation (probably
          to be submitted to J. Comp. Chem. or to J. Mol. Graphics),
          1988.

        Input file format
          The input layout for render is the same as that accepted by
          scene(1G

*  Tell everyone about RASTER3D!

* The rendering algorithm used by the program "render.f" is
* described in the following paper:
*
 If you have any questions, problems, comments, complaints,
 or suggestions, please do not hesitate to call or write me.

   David Bacon
   Department of Biochemistry
   Medical Sciences Building
   University of Alberta
   Edmonton, AB  T6G 2H7
     CANADA
   Phone:  403-432-4575
   Bitnet:  USERGORA@UALTAMTS

 I will be moving to the Washington, DC area sometime in
 August, 1988.  Here is a temporary intermediate contact:

   c/o John Moult
   Center for Advanced Research in Biotechnology
   9600 Gudelsky Drive
   Rockville, MD 20850
     USA
   Phone:  301-975-2593
   Bitnet:  JOHN@MSMFVM

 Mark Israel and Stephen Samuel made significant contributions
 to this package, and may be reached at the Edmonton address
 above or as follows:

   Phone:  403-432-2422
   Bitnet:  USERLNDS@UALTAMTS

Hope this is of some general interest.

                           *
Darrell R. Davis       *   *   *    "Faster, faster, until the
Assistant Professor      * * *       thrill of speed overcomes
Medicinal Chemistry   *A**L**T**A*   the fear of death."
University of Utah       * * *
                       *   *   *       --H.S. Thompson
                           *

tomw@orac.esd.sgi.com (Tom Weinstein) (07/11/90)

In article <9007092046.AA07962@frodo.Physics.McGill.CA>, loki@physics.mcgill.ca (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:

> 	Does anyone know if any of the currently available PD ray-tracing
> packages is particularly useful on the IRIS?  A 4D/25 in our case.
> The best known one I would guess would be the MTV RayTracer.  But how
> easy it to use with the existing IRIS graphics library?

> Loki Jorgenson			node:  loki@physics.mcgill.ca

I got rayshade working fairly easily on a 4D/20.  You also need to get
the utah RLE toolkit.

Most raytracers shouldn't really have any compatibility problems with
the GL because all they do is write out an image file of some sort.  The
problems begin when trying to display the images on the screen.

--
Tom Weinstein
Silicon Graphics, Inc., Entry Systems Division, Window Systems

merritt@max.u.washington.edu (07/17/90)

In article <9007110354.AA04884@adenosine.pharm.utah.edu>, davis@ADENOSINE.PHARM.UTAH.EDU ("Darrell R. Davis") writes:
> I have been using a ray tracing program called RASTER3D on my 4D/20
> for molecular modeling.  The quality of the images are better than any
> of the commercial packages that I have seen for this purpose.
> Although this is a specialized application, there may be something
> useful for your purpose.  Here is some information that I pulled out of
> the README file that is part of the package and also a part of the man
	[users guide stuff deleted]

	I can second the recommendation of RASTER3D as a ray-tracing program
for molecular models.  As distributed it supports spheres and triangles as
object types.  I have hacked it up a bit for use on a 4D/20 so that it also
supports object types for flat-ended cylinders, round-ended cylinders, and
Phong-shaded triangles (original distribution was flat-shading only). I have
also modified the code to produce output directly to a *.rgb format file (as
per 4Dgifts/iristools/imgtools) so that the resulting pictures can easily be
edited with the imgtools utilities.  If people are interested I can make my
version avaiable, along with various conversion routines to go from a
Brookhaven PDB coordinate file to input descriptions for ribbon drawings, ball
and stick models, etc.

					Ethan A Merritt
					University of Washington SM-20
					Seattle, WA 98195
					merritt@xray0.bchem.washington.edu

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (07/17/90)

   Please post or put in info-iris anonymous ftp site.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

bobf@BLUMIRIS.CHEM.UMR.EDU ("Robert B. Funchess") (07/18/90)

I'm interested in that hacked version of raster3d; in fact, if it's not TOO
large, I could even set aside some anonymous FTP space for it...  in the
meantime, I've been using rayshade (from comp.sources.unix) with some perl
scripts to do much the same thing (take molecular structure data and turn it
into a raytraced molecular model).  Rayshade supports spheres, cones, planes,
and some other object classes I haven't needed yet...  it's also possible to
define new objects based on these primitives.  You'll need the Utah Raster
Image Toolkit if you want to use rayshade.
--
Bob Funchess					bobf@blumiris.chem.umr.edu
Chemistry Dept.					University of Missouri - Rolla

fish@cs.utah.edu (Russ Fish) (07/19/90)

In article <9007092046.AA07962@frodo.Physics.McGill.CA> loki@physics.mcgill.ca
	 (Loki Jorgenson Rm421) writes:

>	   Does anyone know if any of the currently available PD ray-tracing
>   packages is particularly useful on the IRIS?  A 4D/25 in our case.

There is a ray-tracer named `prt' included in the Alpha_1 Geometric Modelling
System.  (Prt was originally written by John W. Peterson, now at Apple.  He
was also one of the main authors of the Utah Raster Toolkit when he was here.)
I've used it, and like it a lot.

Alpha_1's strength is sculptured surface solid modelling, so besides the usual
polygons, etc., prt renders NURB splines of any order.  prt does texture
mapping, reflections, refraction, and shadows, in addition to the stuff that
GL lighting does (multiple colored lights, smooth metallic shading, etc.)

Anti-aliasing is available in both the spatial domain (de-jagging) and the
temporal domain (motion blurring on time-varying, animated models.)  John came
up with an adaptive scheme to supersample only where needed, which he calls
pixel-threshing, so you only pay for anti-aliasing where it's needed.

>	But how easy it to use with the existing IRIS graphics library?

The Utah Raster Toolkit (included in the Alpha_1 distribution) has image
display tools for RLE files.  Use get4d on the Iris.

Alpha_1 isn't public domain, but it's CHEAP to educational and government lab
groups.  I believe the current price for a distribution (two tapes + two
manuals) is $475.

Send me mail if you want a little bit more info.  Send mail to
mcminn@cs.utah.edu if you want a lot of info or want to place an order.

-Russ Fish			fish@cs.utah.edu		(801) 581-5884
--

-Russ Fish			fish@cs.utah.edu		(801) 581-5884