[comp.sys.sgi] Accounting for ftp & telnet.

russell@CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ (07/20/90)

Does anybody have versions of ftp and telnet programs that log the destinations
of calls? We are also interested in volumes of traffic.

Are the sources available so that we could patch them to do this?

Lastly is anybody else out there interested in this?

Thanks, Russell.

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (07/20/90)

In article <9007170219.AA23237@ccu1.aukuni.ac.nz> russell@CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ writes:
>Does anybody have versions of ftp and telnet programs that log the destinations
>of calls? We are also interested in volumes of traffic.

If you're interested in recording ftp and telnet connections to your IRIS-4D:

    As of IRIX 3.2, records containing the source of each ftp connection can be
    logged to /usr/adm/SYSLOG.  Append the "-l" option to the ftpd entry in
    /usr/etc/inetd.conf and signal inetd using "killall 1 inetd".

    As of IRIX 3.3, records for rlogin/telnet/sethost connections can be
    logged to SYSLOG with a line containg the word "syslog" in
    /etc/config/login.options. See login(1) for details.
    rsh and tftp accesses can be logged, too -- see rshd(1M) and tftpd(1M).

If you're interested in recording ftp and telnet activity on your network,
obtain the forthcoming NetVisualyzer(tm) optional software for the IRIS-4D.