[comp.sys.sgi] VGX Upgrades

zyda@trouble.cs.nps.navy.mil (michael zyda) (07/19/90)

Warning on the Purchase of VGX Upgrades:

     When the VGX upgrade to the GTX system was announced, I asked
my salesman for a quote and some information on that upgrade.
He stated to me at that time that the upgrade was for "any
GTX" system. In fact, the quote I received from him states

     "Upgrade from GTX graphics to PowerVision graphics".

     Last week the VGX upgrade rolled in. It is scheduled
for installation on our 4D/120 GTX system.

     The salesman called me last night to say that VGX upgrades
do not work on 120 GTX systems. He says that we have to
upgrade the 120 GTX to a 220 GTX system (and he sent a
quote for about $20K).

     What's wrong with this picture? Is there anyone at
SGI able to field such questions?

     Michael Zyda

baskett%forest.asd@SGI.COM (Forest Baskett) (07/19/90)

The 120 is the first of the Power Series cpu's.  The cpu to graphics
subsystem interaction that it supports is more limited and less
powerful than on all subsequent Power Series (200's and 300's).  The
VGX graphics needs the full power of the more general interaction
mechanism on the 200 and 300 series cpu's.  So the VGX upgrade of a 120
GTX has to include a cpu upgrade as part of it.  We may have failed to
make this perfectly clear to all of our sales force.  So we apologize
for any misunderstandings.  We really try to avoid creating hardware
situations like this but it is not always possible.

Forest Baskett
Silicon Graphics

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (07/23/90)

In article <9007181756.AA22522@trouble.cs.nps.navy.mil>, zyda@trouble.cs.nps.navy.mil (michael zyda) writes:

> Warning on the Purchase of VGX Upgrades:
>
>      When the VGX upgrade to the GTX system was announced, I asked
> my salesman for a quote and some information on that upgrade.
> He stated to me at that time that the upgrade was for "any
> GTX" system. In fact, the quote I received from him states
>
>      "Upgrade from GTX graphics to PowerVision graphics".
>
>      Last week the VGX upgrade rolled in. It is scheduled
> for installation on our 4D/120 GTX system.
>
>      The salesman called me last night to say that VGX upgrades
> do not work on 120 GTX systems. He says that we have to

- Happened to worry us , too. Apparently, the 120 is going to be
a dead end street. I'm afraid we need to go with the time and have
some money set aside occasionally to get a 220 instead. In the meanwhile,
try to get around with your SGI reps not to push you. To be honest,
I'm afraid that the 120 has been the 'try first' multiprocessor which
has been outdated by the 3000 cpus.

- Reinhard