[comp.sys.sgi] IRIS console - how do servers work ?

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (07/23/90)

In article <5076@minyos.xx.rmit.oz>, rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Owen Baker) writes:
> Does anyone know if you can make a terminal the console on an IRIS 4D2D?
> I mean when the system is up not just when booting.

I'm interested in this as well (as of october '88), and didn't find a
practicable solution yet.
Pointers welcome- how do the servers work? There might be a hint to fool
the graphics console if one knew how the server configureations
address the problem.

- Reinhard

archer@elysium.esd.sgi.com (Archer Sully) (07/23/90)

In <1990Jul23.083435.838@urz.unibas.ch> doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:

| In article <5076@minyos.xx.rmit.oz>, rxcob@minyos.xx.rmit.oz (Owen Baker) writes:
| > Does anyone know if you can make a terminal the console on an IRIS 4D2D?
| > I mean when the system is up not just when booting.
| >

| I'm interested in this as well (as of october '88), and didn't find a
| practicable solution yet.
| Pointers welcome- how do the servers work? There might be a hint to fool
| the graphics console if one knew how the server configureations
| address the problem.

Its really quite simple.  There is an environment variable in the PROM
called "console".  It can have any of several values, usually "G" (for
graphics).  However, if it is set to "d" (debug), the console is switched
to serial port 0.  The console variable can be set from either the PROM
monitor or with the 'nvram' command.

--
Archer Sully          |  Ask not what you can do for you country,
archer@esd.sgi.com    |  But what your country's been doing to you.

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (07/24/90)

Baker) writes:
> [...]
|> |
|> | Pointers welcome- how do the servers work? There might be a hint to fool
|> | the graphics console if one knew how the server configureations
|> | address the problem.
|> |

The servers run with a serial console from boot-up so what they do isn't
likely to help Owen.  Actually the PROM's detect the absence of graphics and
set their "console" environment variable to "d".

|> Its really quite simple.  There is an environment variable in the PROM
|> called "console".  It can have any of several values, usually "G" (for
|> graphics).  However, if it is set to "d" (debug), the console is switched
|> to serial port 0.  The console variable can be set from either the PROM
|> monitor or with the 'nvram' command.

You haven't answered Owen's question either.

	|> "I mean when the system is up not just when booting."

I don't think there is a way to change the console to a serial device without
rebooting the system.  Many things are set during bootup depending on the
value of "console".
--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (07/24/90)

> The servers run with a serial console from boot-up so what they do isn't
> likely to help Owen.  Actually the PROM's detect the absence of graphics and
> set their "console" environment variable to "d".
>
> I don't think there is a way to change the console to a serial device without
> rebooting the system.  Many things are set during bootup depending on the
> value of "console".
> --
> From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
> msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc
> "There is much virtue in a window.  It is to a human being as a frame is to
> a painting, as a proscenium to a play.  It strongly defines its content."

-  too bad, but thanks for replies anyway. I imagined that it might be
possible to set the links to some /dev/syscon in a way that the serial port is
addressed as if it were a real device. Unfortunately, setting the console
to serial in the PROM results in lack of console capabilities, e.g., the
console is no longer accessible directly and the window manager needs
to be started in a special way.

Regards,
Reinhard

goss@SNOW-WHITE.MERIT-TECH.COM (Mike Goss) (07/25/90)

> -  too bad, but thanks for replies anyway. I imagined that it might be
> possible to set the links to some /dev/syscon in a way that the serial port is
> addressed as if it were a real device. Unfortunately, setting the console
> to serial in the PROM results in lack of console capabilities, e.g., the
> console is no longer accessible directly and the window manager needs
> to be started in a special way.
>
> Regards,
> Reinhard

You can still use the graphics console even if you have redirected the
system console to a serial port with the PROM monitor.  Just run
"/etc/gl/restartgl" to start up 4Sight.  Kill the process named
"grcond" to get rid of 4Sight (or just logout).

Mike Goss
Merit Technology Inc.
(214)733-7018
goss@snow-white.merit-tech.com

	Disclaimer: This offer void except where prohibited by law.