[comp.sys.sgi] DEC and TEK

root@sgzh.uucp (Bruno Pape) (07/26/90)

Two questions:

1.  One of our sales people would like to sell some SGI machines to someone
    who would like to use them to replace some VAXes driving Tektronix 4011
    terminals and such.  Any ideas on what software one would put on a SGI
    to allow it to act as a host computer to Tek displays?

2.  DecNet version 1.1 seems like it does not allow access to remote segments
    while version 1.2 seems like it does.  Is this correct?  Can DecNet 1.2
    be run under IRIX 3.2 to give this increased functionality without having
    to bump everything up to 3.3.

Thanks,

Bruno

merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) (07/27/90)

In article <1990Jul26.160709.451@sgzh.uucp> root%sgzh.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Bruno Pape) writes:
>Two questions:
>
>    Any ideas on what software one would put on a SGI
>    to allow it to act as a host computer to Tek displays?

IDL (packaged as PV-wave on the IRIS)
unixplot
GNUplot (free version of unixplot)

And any other package which supports 'tek' devices.
John H. Merritt                   #  Yesterday I knew nothing,
Applied Research Corporation      #  Today I know that.
merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov     #

russell@CCU1.AUKUNI.AC.NZ (07/27/90)

 >1.  One of our sales people would like to sell some SGI machines to someone
 >    who would like to use them to replace some VAXes driving Tektronix 4011
 >    terminals and such.  Any ideas on what software one would put on a SGI
 >    to allow it to act as a host computer to Tek displays?

I don't see the problem. TEk 401x are just ascii terminals, solong as the
applications software will run on the SGI then it should all go. If it *is*
a question of the applications software then you will have to be a lot more
specific.

CA are supposed to have DISSPLA available soon for Irix.

We are looking for an ISPP ( calcomp interface routines, PLOT and PLOTS etc.)
to drive Tek 4014 terminals.

The other possibility is they might be using PLOT10, which comes from
Tektronics ( I think).

Cheers, Russell.