[comp.sys.sgi] Console graphics startup with background jobs problem

holder@hobbes.chem.uh.edu (Michael Holder) (07/27/90)

We have recently noticed a problem downloading the graphics subsystem
while trying to log into the console with background jobs running.  We are
currently running IRIX 3.3 OS.  This problem also seems to affect an
Exabyte we have connected to out system.

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (07/28/90)

In article <HOLDER.90Jul27094125@hobbes.chem.uh.edu>, holder@hobbes.chem.uh.edu (Michael Holder) writes:
> We have recently noticed a problem downloading the graphics subsystem
> while trying to log into the console with background jobs running.  We are
> currently running IRIX 3.3 OS.  This problem also seems to affect an
> Exabyte we have connected to out system.
>
> Has anyone else experienced this problem?

YES. It happens on a 120/GTX as well. I was able to fix it in 3.2. by a
slight kernel hack but the parameter I modified disappeared in 3.3. Therefore,
same mess as usual. No logins on the graphics while load > 2.0, and
current workaround is as follows:

Log in as root
(if needed, on the console using NOGRAPHICS)
find out the processes heavily crunching
send a blocproc with the command
# nohup dbx -p <pid> & >& /dev/null
restart the gl with
/etc/gl/restartgl
and log in as normal user
# login otto

.. not nice but a workaround fro trusted users.

- Reinhard