[comp.sys.sgi] gcc

russo@chaos.utexas.edu (Tom Russo) (07/25/89)

Has anybody managed to get GCC ported to the SGI 4d series? I have
tried making it for MIPS with the machine descriptors provide ingcc-1.35, but there are a number of things which fail. Has anybodyelse tried this and succeeded? Please oh please, if you have, couldyou send me diffs? (actually, send them to me AND FSF!)--+
|Thomas Russo		       |  russo@chaos.utexas.edu	       |
|Center for Nonlinear Dynamics, University of Texas at Austin          |

rbriber@POLY1.NIST.GOV (07/30/90)

wes@loft386 writes:

>Does anyone out there have versions of the GNU compilers and assemblers
>running on the SGI Iris-4D series workstations?  I have 2 4D/60GTs and
>26 4D/70GTs at work, and I'd really like to have the GNU software on
>them.  The latest distribution I've seen is 1.35; it contains some support
>for MIPS machines, but only for the BSD-based OS.  The SGI Irix OS is a
>variant of Vr3.

We got gcc version 1.37.1 from prep.ai.mit.edu and other than some very
minor changes in the Makefile it compiled fine.  It seemed to know
all about SGI machines.  We have only used it a few times but so far,
no problems.

| Adios Amoebas,      | "I've tried and I've tried and I'm still mystified,  |
|   Robert Briber     |  I can't do it anymore and I'm not satisfied."       |
|   224/B210  NIST    |                                 --Elvis              |
|   20899  USA        | rbriber@poly1.nist.gov   (Internet)                  |
|(301) 975-6775(voice)| rbriber@enh.nist.gov     (Internet)                  |
|(301) 975-2128 (fax) | rbriber@nbsenh           (Bitnet)                    |