[comp.sys.sgi] 10 pounds in a 5 pound bag..

fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (08/01/90)

I have a complaint to file, a bone to pick, an axe to grind..

I am wondering if anyone has been inconvenienced by the rather puny /
partition of the Iris 3x0VGX systems running 3.3?

Here is a df:
  Filesystem                 Type  blocks     use   avail %use  Mounted on
  /dev/root                   efs   30360   25522    4838  84%  /
  /dev/usr                    efs 1144503  382654  761849  33%  /usr
  /debug                      dbg  196848   10224  186624   5%  /debug

Now, I can live with 2 Meg available, but it sure is annoying.  So far, I've
had errors trying to gen a new kernel (I saved the old one as unix.save which
did not leave enough room for unix.install), compiling some codes (I had to re-
define the TMPDIR environment variable), and installing local software (we
use the /tmp directory to uncompress and untar).  Nothing terrible, just a
bother.

What appears to have happened either in the 3.2 -> 3.3 conversion or the VGX
upgrade which increased the size of /etc/gl is that the number of blocks in
use went from around 17000 to around 25000.

Has anyone dealt with this situation in manner they would be proud to present?
I've heard of linking /usr/tmp to /tmp but we use /usr/tmp for something else.
I may set the TMPDIR variable in /etc/cshrc, but I don't know what other
surprises await.  Can I delete a couple of the files in /etc/gl without causing
more problems (specifically, what are initvideo and setmon doing here?)  Are
there other places to look for additional disk space?  Should I.. repartition?

Note to SGI:  Perhaps it's time to increase the size of the root partition
when you format the disk?  Please don't get me wrong.  I don't mean to sound
ingrateful, I probably wouldn't remember how to partition the disk myself
anymore if I had to.  And it's great that the disks come with eoe1 and eoe2
loaded (with the ALL option!), but 4800 blocks won't cut it.

Humbly Submitted for Consideration,
Tony Facca   |   fsfacca@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318
      You are at Witt's end.  Passages lead off in *all* directions.

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (08/02/90)

     We have the same problem with our 4D/210 VGX and have heard the
same complaint from others here at Langley.  It would be nice if the
root partition was a little bit larger.  We are still trying to figure
out how to work around this.  One thing we have done is to set the
TMPDIR in /etc/cshrc, individually set directory=/usr/tmp for vi & ex.
So far so good.  I registered this as a complaint on the hotline.
They didn't seem to have any real solution to the problem, other than
repartioning the disk.
     You can't link /tmp to /usr/tmp.  We were going to do that, but
we found a socket in /tmp that we couldn't remove.  Then the hotline
said we didn't want to do the link because of other reasons that they
didn't go into.  I ask them to give me a list of things that use /tmp,
so we could redirect them to /usr/tmp, but they couldn't come up with
a list.  We haven't done anything to the kernal yet, however, we are
going to need to in the near future and if there isn't enought space
in root to do it, I guess we would need to repartion.
     Some times I wonder if these types of things are check before
they ship these things out.  You would think that something as obviously
wrong as this would be found real soon.  We found it the first day
we started using the machine.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (08/02/90)

In article <9008011308.AA17269@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov>,
fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

>   Filesystem                 Type  blocks     use   avail %use  Mounted on
>   /dev/root                   efs   30360   25522    4838  84%  /
>   /dev/usr                    efs 1144503  382654  761849  33%  /usr
>   /debug                      dbg  196848   10224  186624   5%  /debug

This is a partitioning which is generally undesirable. On our SGI as well
as on the other mainframes I am responsible for it proved to be reasonable
to create a partition /people in order to separate /usr - files which
don't need to be backed up from those who do need occasional save sets.
Secondly, desipte the fact that there should be no disk quota on /tmp,
it is necessary to create a /tmp partition which is , let's say, 100 megs.
This /tmp then can easily be maintained but won't overflow the /usr.
You could also create more partitions for software, or different working
groups. On a bsd machine I need to keep as optimal as possible,
I even have a second root partition which is mirrored to the root
partition where unix lives on. In case of trouble, I boot from
the other root disk. My df (with modified /root) on the SGI looks as follows:

Filesystem                 Type  blocks     use   avail %use  Mounted on
/dev/root                   efs   33460   26550    6910  79%  /
/dev/dsk/ips0d1s6           efs   43200   34494    8706  80%  /usr2
/dev/dsk/ips0d1s5           efs   79800   75678    4122  95%  /biozen
/dev/dsk/ips0d1s3           efs  235600  232857    2743  99%  /profi
/dev/dsk/ips0d1s2           efs  193800  185380    8420  96%  /software
/dev/dsk/ips0d1s1           efs   38000   37996       4 100%  /profi2
/dev/dsk/ips0d0s5           efs   50470   14730   35740  29%  /tmp
/dev/dsk/ips0d0s6           efs  305760  248249   57511  81%  /usr
/debug                      dbg  255200    8704  246496   3%  /debug

Concerning the "/ is full" pity: You can easily softlink a reasonably
large file to /usr if this one is not needed at boot time before the
partitions other than / are mounted (meaning that 'unix' is not a good
example).

Concerning the repartitioning: If you are daring enough and have reliable
backups on hand, you could try to use the standalone fx in order to
modify partition sizes and/or create new ones. Take care of the different
disk types, because blocks and cylinders are different dependent on the
model you are entering in the first questions of fx. There is an article
in a recent 'pipeline' issue about using fx. A caveat is to be considered
here: Though fx is capable to have up to 9 partitions, SGI is using
only 0, 1, 5 and 6 in the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk. This means that you
need to create new special files (see mknod(1M)) in order to use partition
2 or 3. You shouldn't touch 7, 8, or 9 because these partitions are special.

Hope this helps,
Reinhard

merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov (John H Merritt) (08/02/90)

In article <1990Aug2.082157.853@urz.unibas.ch> doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:

[material deleted]

>Concerning the repartitioning: If you are daring enough and have reliable
>backups on hand, you could try to use the standalone fx in order to
>modify partition sizes and/or create new ones. Take care of the different
>disk types, because blocks and cylinders are different dependent on the
>model you are entering in the first questions of fx. There is an article

Just have a calculator handy :-)

>in a recent 'pipeline' issue about using fx. A caveat is to be considered
>here: Though fx is capable to have up to 9 partitions, SGI is using

                                          ^^ NO. The answer is 16

>only 0, 1, 5 and 6 in the /dev/dsk and /dev/rdsk. This means that you
>need to create new special files (see mknod(1M)) in order to use partition
>2 or 3. You shouldn't touch 7, 8, or 9 because these partitions are special.

Partitions you can use for making more than one filesystem are:
0 through 6, 11 through 16

Partition 7 can be used to partition the entire disk as one large file system.

Warning: [from the peripheral guide]
   Do not use the two partitions (8 or 9), or the largest parition (10)
   for mounting file systems.  8 and 9 contain header and replacement
   track information.  The largest partition represents the entire disk,
   including the header.  These partitions contain valuable information
   which you must not overwrite.  If you do, you will be unable to access
   information on your disk.

Actually, I've written to some of these sacred partitions and after a
couple of days this warning rang true :-)
John H. Merritt                   #  Yesterday I knew nothing,
Applied Research Corporation      #  Today I know that.
merritt@iris613.gsfc.nasa.gov     #

bam@rudedog.sgi.com (Brian McClendon) (08/03/90)

In article <9008011308.AA17269@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov> fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

>I have a complaint to file, a bone to pick, an axe to grind..
>
>I am wondering if anyone has been inconvenienced by the rather puny /
>partition of the Iris 3x0VGX systems running 3.3?
>
>Here is a df:
>  Filesystem                 Type  blocks     use   avail %use  Mounted on
>  /dev/root                   efs   30360   25522    4838  84%  /
>  /dev/usr                    efs 1144503  382654  761849  33%  /usr
>  /debug                      dbg  196848   10224  186624   5%  /debug
>
>Now, I can live with 2 Meg available, but it sure is annoying.  So far, I've
>had errors trying to gen a new kernel (I saved the old one as unix.save which
>did not leave enough room for unix.install), compiling some codes (I had to re-
>define the TMPDIR environment variable), and installing local software (we
>use the /tmp directory to uncompress and untar).  Nothing terrible, just a
>bother.
>
>What appears to have happened either in the 3.2 -> 3.3 conversion or the VGX
>upgrade which increased the size of /etc/gl is that the number of blocks in
>use went from around 17000 to around 25000.
>
>Has anyone dealt with this situation in manner they would be proud to present?
>I've heard of linking /usr/tmp to /tmp but we use /usr/tmp for something else.
>I may set the TMPDIR variable in /etc/cshrc, but I don't know what other
>surprises await.  Can I delete a couple of the files in /etc/gl without causing
>more problems (specifically, what are initvideo and setmon doing here?)  Are
>there other places to look for additional disk space?  Should I.. repartition?
>
>Note to SGI:  Perhaps it's time to increase the size of the root partition
>when you format the disk?  Please don't get me wrong.  I don't mean to sound
>ingrateful, I probably wouldn't remember how to partition the disk myself
>anymore if I had to.  And it's great that the disks come with eoe1 and eoe2
>loaded (with the ALL option!), but 4800 blocks won't cut it.
>
>Humbly Submitted for Consideration,
>Tony Facca   |   fsfacca@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318

OK, after talking to a unix expert (jwag), the word is there should be no
reason /tmp couldn't be a symlink to /usr/tmp.  The problematic socket that
was mentioned could be an X socket that will go away long enough while booted
single-user to create the symlink. You mentioned that you used /usr/tmp
for something else... would linking /tmp to /usr/slash_tmp be better?

Another solution is to login root NOGRAPHICS, cp -r /etc/gl to /usr/etc_gl
(or wherever), and symlink it back.  This will move back ~8K blocks.
	(WARNING: You _must_ undo this change before inst-ing a new
	release of the software to avoid confusing inst about space
	remaining/usage on the two partitions.)

initvideo is used by /etc/gl/grcond, so it shouldn't be removed. setmon(1)
is a user command to change the video mode and can be moved anywhere
you want as long as you remember where you put it.

We were aware of the issue before shipping 3.3.  After compacting
as much as possible, ~4K blocks was enough for us to work and build
our code, so we made the assumption (probaby bad) that it would be
enough for everyone.  We will work on this for the next release, but
it won't be ready for 3.3.1.

   Brian McClendon bam@rudedog.SGI.COM ...!uunet!sgi!rudedog!bam 415-335-1110

andrew@alice.UUCP (Andrew Hume) (08/04/90)

	i make no claim to expert knowledge here but we decided the
ordinary partition layout was not useful to us. our current setup
(at least the changed and new partitions) are

SMD (1.2GB) DISKS
==================
each disk includes the following partitions (you refer to
partition P on drive D on controller C by /dev/dsk/xylCdDsP):

	0: efs	3+26		/
	1: raw	29+150		swap
	2: efs	179+150		/tmp
	3: efs	329+474		/usr
	4: efs	803+800		/u0
	5: efs	3+800		/u1
(for comparison:
	1: raw	28+81		old swap
	6: efs	109+1494	old /usr
)

	we normally run multiple disk systems (4 typically) with
drives 0,1 using partitions 0,1,2,3,4 (both bootable) and
all the rest using just 4,5 for usr files. we keep /usr clear of
anything that sgi (or other vendors) put there. that way, if an engineer swings by,
we can power off our main usr drives and feel better.

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (08/07/90)

   The problem (or disadvantage) with making /tmp a partition is
that it is wasted space.  If you are not compiling or editting
something that space is wasted.  If you link /tmp to say /usr/tmp
you use your disk space more efficiently.