[comp.sys.sgi] Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (08/03/90)

   Didn't you have a X window socket in your /tmp?  That is why we
could remove /tmp.  I also figured that is one of the reasons why
the hotline said we couldn't (shouldn't) remove /tmp and replace it
with a link to /usr/tmp.  Can any one give me any GOOD reasons why
we shouldn't remove /tmp and replace it with a link?
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

ciemo@bananaPC.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (08/04/90)

In article <9008031155.AA02414@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>,
blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>    Didn't you have a X window socket in your /tmp?  That is why we
> could remove /tmp.  I also figured that is one of the reasons why
> the hotline said we couldn't (shouldn't) remove /tmp and replace it
> with a link to /usr/tmp.  Can any one give me any GOOD reasons why
> we shouldn't remove /tmp and replace it with a link?
> --
>
> 	Brent L. Bates
> 	NASA-Langley Research Center
> 	M.S. 361
> 	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
> 	(804) 864-2854
> 	E-mail: blbates@aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero2.larc.nasa.gov

Two reasons I can think of:

1) files in /tmp are automagically removed when cranking up the ol' IRIS.
Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp will remove files in /usr/tmp during a reboot.  This
may annoy some folks though it is something they may be able to get used to.
Some people consider files in /usr/tmp to be fair game in this situation.

2) If you boot your system in single user mode, /usr may not be mounted.
This means running programs like ex to do configuration file edition in this
won't work unless A) you mount /usr or B) you rm /tmp and mkdir /tmp to
create yourself a new directory.  As long as you are the only individual
administering the system, these nusiances may only be minor.

They may not be GOOD reasons but they might be FAIR.

							--- Ciemo

ted@vball.sgi.com (Ted Wilcox) (08/04/90)

In <11369@odin.corp.sgi.com> ciemo@bananaPC.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) writes:

>In article <9008031155.AA02414@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>,
>blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:
>>
>>    Didn't you have a X window socket in your /tmp?  That is why we
>> could remove /tmp.  I also figured that is one of the reasons why
>> the hotline said we couldn't (shouldn't) remove /tmp and replace it
>> with a link to /usr/tmp.  Can any one give me any GOOD reasons why
>> we shouldn't remove /tmp and replace it with a link?

>Two reasons I can think of:

>1) files in /tmp are automagically removed when cranking up the ol' IRIS.
>Linking /tmp to /usr/tmp will remove files in /usr/tmp during a reboot.  This

Is /tmp cleared before or after /usr is mounted?  I genuinely don't know
the answer, but it would make this a moot point.

>2) If you boot your system in single user mode, /usr may not be mounted.
>This means running programs like ex to do configuration file edition in this
>won't work unless A) you mount /usr or B) you rm /tmp and mkdir /tmp to
>create yourself a new directory.  As long as you are the only individual
>administering the system, these nusiances may only be minor.

This one is easy to get around.  You simply mkdir /usr/tmp when /usr is
not mounted.  Then the directory exists, but is on the root filesystem
in single user mode.  It simple becomes invisible when /usr is mounted.
(You do need to be careful not to leave junk in here, though, since it
will fill up the root partition with no way to remove it once /usr
is mounted.

>							--- Ciemo
                      ___
Ted.                 /x  \/|  I'd kill Flipper
ted@sgi.com          > \\  |  for a tuna sandwich.
                     \___/\|      -Flipper (The band) (Thanks Archer.)

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/04/90)

In passing, /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES might be interesting to those who want to
make /tmp into a link.  That is the script that tries to clean /tmp,
/usr/tmp, and so on when the system is started.

Vernon Schryver
vjs@sgi.com

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (08/06/90)

   You gave two reasons for not linking /tmp to /usr/tmp.  The first
I don't think is valid anymore.  I believe /tmp is no longer automatically
removed at each reboot.  I don't remember which release it was that
SGI stopped removing /tmp.
   The second reason is the first "real" reason I have heard yet.
If you don't mound /usr, and therefor /usr/tmp a.k.a. /tmp, you won't
be able to use vi or ex.  This, to me, however doesn't sound that bad.
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center
	M.S. 361
	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
	(804) 864-2854
	E-mail: blbates@aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero2.larc.nasa.gov

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (08/06/90)

    I looked at /etc/inid.d/RMTMPFILES and it checks to see if /tmp
is linked to something else if it is then the directory is not removed.
    I looked at /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES and it checks to see if /tmp
is linked to something else, if it is then the directory is not removed.
It is also not removed if it or any of its subdirectories are mounting
points.
    The file also mentions /usr/tmp_rex, what is this for?
    Also I can't find any scripts that execute RMTMPFILES, so it
doesn't seem to be executed.
--

jwag@moose.asd.sgi.com (Chris Wagner) (08/07/90)

In article <66088@sgi.sgi.com>, vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon
Schryver) writes:

> In passing, /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES might be interesting to those who want to
> make /tmp into a link.  That is the script that tries to clean /tmp,
> /usr/tmp, and so on when the system is started.
>

> Vernon Schryver
> vjs@sgi.com

VJS is correct - please everyone - if you do NOT know the answer - do NOT post
random info!!!!!

In 3.3 we actually tried to allow this since for a while now customers
have asked for this ability. The pertinent lines from /etc/init.d/RMTMPFILES:

# if /tmp or any of its subdirectories is a mount point do not remove it.
# if /tmp symbolic links to other directory do not remove it.

M=`mount | grep ' on /tmp' | wc -l`
if [ $M -eq 0 ]; then
    if [ ! -l /tmp ]; then
	rm -rf /tmp
	mkdir /tmp
    fi
fi

As for running in single user mode - things like ex/ve are in /usr/bin - so
noone will be running those without /usr mounted!

As for the X socket - I believe in order to start this whole scenario -
one need to log out, and log back in as root NOGRAPHICS - this way news and
X will not be started up - here is your chance to link /tmp and /etc/gl

Notice that the 3.3 installation tools HANDLE symbolic links just fine -
I personally have my /usr/demos and /usr/adm/crash symlinked onto another
disk

Chris Wagner

vjs@rhyolite.wpd.sgi.com (Vernon Schryver) (08/07/90)

In article <9008061227.AA11480@aero4.larc.nasa.gov>, blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>     Also I can't find any scripts that execute RMTMPFILES, so it
> doesn't seem to be executed.

The nodes in /etc/rc[23].d are usually symbolic links to /etc/init.d.
The are run by /etc/rc[23], which are run by init when "changing state,"
as directed by /etc/inittab.

The SVR3 idea of the /etc/init.d files is to permit the old rc, rc.local, and
(on 3000's) other rc.* files to be divided by function, so that you can
install or remove things without hacking rc files, and can start and
stop portions of the system.

This stuff is partially documented in init(1M).  I recall reading the
AT&T words describing the general /etc/init.d scheme in some "Administrator's
Guide."

Vernon Schryver
vjs@sgi.com

root@sgzh.uucp (Bruno Pape) (08/07/90)

In article <11455@odin.corp.sgi.com> jwag@sgi.com (Chris Wagner) writes:

>VJS is correct - please everyone - if you do NOT know the answer - do NOT post
>random info!!!!!

lighten up.  If one can't handle random info one shouldn't use a computer.

bruno