[comp.sys.sgi] Nameservices and graphics environment

visti@cs.hut.fi (Hannu Visti) (08/15/90)

I have tried to turn on nameservices under IRIX 3.2 and 3.2.1. I don't
want to run named, so I only make resolv.conf defining domain,
hostresorder (local bind) and 3 nameservers.

This seems to work fine; all addresses are found and nslookup finds all
records for machines.

But when I try to log in from the graphics console, it just hangs. It
clears screen and displays the standard ("welcome to ...") text in the
center of the screen. And nothing else.

There is lots of messages in /usr/adm/SYSLOG from grcond. The errors occur
when running init.ps and there seems to be some problem finding the
localhost's name.

If someone knows what to do, please tell me too.
/hv

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (08/16/90)

In article <VISTI.90Aug15125013@sauna.hut.fi> visti@cs.hut.fi (Hannu Visti) writes:
>I have tried to turn on nameservices under IRIX 3.2 and 3.2.1. I don't
>want to run named, so I only make resolv.conf defining domain,
>hostresorder (local bind) and 3 nameservers.

"hostresorder" is a new IRIX 3.3 'feature' -- it's not in 3.2.

>This seems to work fine; all addresses are found and nslookup finds all
>records for machines.
>
>But when I try to log in from the graphics console, it just hangs. It
>clears screen and displays the standard ("welcome to ...") text in the
>center of the screen. And nothing else.
>
>There is lots of messages in /usr/adm/SYSLOG from grcond. The errors occur
>when running init.ps and there seems to be some problem finding the
>localhost's name.

Make sure "localhost" is in the named databases.