[comp.sys.sgi] how to find hw configuration?

kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Kuck And Associates) (08/18/90)

Is there a command or file accessible to a normal user that will describe
the hardware configuration of the SGI Iris 4D system being used?  For example,
number, speed and type of processors, total amount of memory...

	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates

olson@anchor.esd.sgi.com (Dave Olson) (08/19/90)

In <1990Aug18.055015.1472@csrd.uiuc.edu> kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu (Kuck And Associates) writes:

| Is there a command or file accessible to a normal user that will describe
| the hardware configuration of the SGI Iris 4D system being used?  For example,
| number, speed and type of processors, total amount of memory...

Sure, check out the hinv command.  It should list all the devices
on the system (in some cases, only if the driver is also installed),
the amount of memory, and the CPU speed(s).

For programmatic use, see getinvent(3).
--

	Dave Olson

wes@uh.msc.umn.edu (Wes Barris) (08/20/90)

In article <1990Aug18.055015.1472@csrd.uiuc.edu>, kai@sp1.csrd.uiuc.edu
(Kuck And Associates) writes:
> Is there a command or file accessible to a normal user that will describe
> the hardware configuration of the SGI Iris 4D system being used?  For
example,
> number, speed and type of processors, total amount of memory...
>
> 	Patrick Wolfe   (pat@kai.com, kailand!pat)
> 	System Programmer/Operations Manager, Kuck & Associates

Here are a few commands to try...
/bin/hinv		- hardware inventory
/usr/sbin/versions	- installed software products
and for no extra charge...
/usr/sbin/gr_osview	- graphical version of "ps"

      o o o o o o o . . .   ________________________________ _____=======_____
    o      _____            |Wes Barris                    | | wes@msc.edu   |
  .][__n_n_|DD[  ====_____  |Minnesota Supercomputer Center| |(612) 626-1854 |
 >(________|__|_[_________]_|University of Minnesota_______|_|_FAX:_624-6550_|_
 _/oo OOOOO oo`  ooo   ooo  'o^o^o                    o^o^o` 'o^o         o^o`
-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
Don't diddle code to make it faster -- find a better algorithm.

ccoprrm@prism.gatech.EDU (Robert E. Minsk) (08/20/90)

In article <2399@uc.msc.umn.edu> wes@msc.edu writes:

>Here are a few commands to try...
>/bin/hinv		- hardware inventory
>/usr/sbin/versions	- installed software products
>and for no extra charge...
>/usr/sbin/gr_osview	- graphical version of "ps"

  If we are going to continue on to process monitoring lets not forget:
sysmeter
sar