[comp.sys.sgi] News_ser prio

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (08/22/90)

In article <9008211446.AA13953@chaos.ocean.fsu.edu>, steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder) writes:
..

> Another thing that seems to help somewhat is to use npri to set the nice value
> of the news_ser all the way to 0. This seems to keep the window manager from
> being paged out quite so easily and works a little better than assigning it
> a non-degrading priority, I suppose since the highest available non-
> degrading priority is 30 whereas as news_ser normaly has a priority of 26.

The file /usr/include/sys/schedctl.h defines the ranges as follows:
/* possible non-degrading priorities */

/* these priorities are higher than ALL normal user process priorities */
#define NDPHIMAX        30
#define NDPHIMIN        39

/* these priorities overlap normal user process priorities */
#define NDPNORMMAX      40
#define NDPNORMMIN      127

/* these priorities are below ALL normal user process priorities */
#define NDPLOMAX        128
#define NDPLOMIN        254

Back in 3.1 (or even 3.0 ? ), I remember that
news_ser was set to non-ageing 64 (or a similar value),
and there have been reasons to change that. If your
machine is heavily loaded, you could play with the npri in order
to speed up news_ser.

Good luck,
Reinhard