[comp.sys.sgi] IRIX 3.3 Question

krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) (07/13/90)

	This may seem like a silly question, but how do you get IRIX
3.3?  We have software support on our two 4D/20's and two 4D/25's, and
we thought we would automatically be sent the upgrade.  Do we
specifically have to ask for it or should we have received it already?

Thanks,
Kevin
krk@cs.purdue.edu
...!{gatech,ucbvax,uunet}!purdue!krk

shj@ultra.com (Steve Jay) (07/14/90)

In <11056@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) writes:

>	This may seem like a silly question, but how do you get IRIX
>3.3?  We have software support on our two 4D/20's and two 4D/25's, and
>we thought we would automatically be sent the upgrade.  Do we
>specifically have to ask for it or should we have received it already?

I was told by an SGI person, who appears to know what's going on, that 3.3
is NOT a "push" release.  This means 3.3 will be sent only to those who ask
for it, or those who are on record with SGI has having bugs that are fixed
in 3.3.

I'm not sure of the procedure for asking for it.  I'd try calling
the hotline/helpline (or whatever it's called), and then contact your
local salesperson if that doesn't work.

Steve Jay
shj@ultra.com  ...ames!ultra!shj
Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Dagget Drive / San Jose, CA 95134 / USA
(408) 922-0100 x130	"Home of the 1 Gigabit/Second network"

dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds) (07/14/90)

In article <1990Jul13.192925.1898@ultra.com> shj@ultra.com (Steve Jay) writes:
>I was told by an SGI person, who appears to know what's going on, that 3.3
>is NOT a "push" release.  This means 3.3 will be sent only to those who ask
>for it, or those who are on record with SGI has having bugs that are fixed
>in 3.3.

    I called the SGI hotline, and they told me that 3.3 was going to ship
in August.  I'm confused - there seem to be quite a few people who have
had it for a while, judging by the messages posted here.  To those of you
who do have it: how did you get it?  Can anyone from SGI comment on this?

 -David Hinds
  dhinds@cbiris.stanford.edu

aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) (07/14/90)

From article <1990Jul13.204439.19295@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds):

>     I called the SGI hotline, and they told me that 3.3 was going to ship
> in August.  I'm confused - there seem to be quite a few people who have
> had it for a while, judging by the messages posted here.  [...]

This is not unusual by my experience.  We typically get our update six
months after everyone else [or so it seems]...

dan haug

--
Internet: haug@austin.lockheed.com
UUCP:     ut-emx!lad-shrike!aihaug

zyda@TROUBLE.CS.NPS.NAVY.MIL (michael zyda) (07/15/90)

3.3 comes with VGX upgrades and VGX systems. That's why some
people have it.

     mz

ktureski@alias.uucp (Kevin Tureski) (07/16/90)

IRIX 3.3 is indeed required and shipped on VGX machines. And on them, it is
relatively stable (as stable as 3.2 is on a GTX, for example).

We are a beta site for IRIX 3.3 and are running it on machines other than
just VGX's. We have identified several incompatibilities between executables
compiled under 3.2 and run under 3.3. SGI is committed to fixing these
problems, and are doing an excellent job of tracking the issues.

If you're using anything other than a VGX, you are probably better off waiting
for the general release in August. It's my understanding that this will be
known as IRIX 3.3.1, but I don't work for SGI, so don't quote me on that :-)

Kevin Tureski
Director, Systems Integration
Alias Research Inc.
110 Richmond St E.
Toronto Canada M5C 1P1
416 362-9181

ktureski%alias@csri.utoronto.ca		ktureski@alias.uucp

dunlap@bigboote.sgi.com (D. Christopher Dunlap) (07/16/90)

In article <1990Jul13.192925.1898@ultra.com> shj@ultra.com (Steve Jay) writes:
>In <11056@medusa.cs.purdue.edu> krk@cs.purdue.EDU (Kevin Kuehl) writes:
>
>>	This may seem like a silly question, but how do you get IRIX
>>3.3?  We have software support on our two 4D/20's and two 4D/25's, and
>>we thought we would automatically be sent the upgrade.  Do we
>>specifically have to ask for it or should we have received it already?
>
>I was told by an SGI person, who appears to know what's going on, that 3.3
>is NOT a "push" release.  This means 3.3 will be sent only to those who ask
>for it, or those who are on record with SGI has having bugs that are fixed
>in 3.3.
>
>I'm not sure of the procedure for asking for it.  I'd try calling
>the hotline/helpline (or whatever it's called), and then contact your
>local salesperson if that doesn't work.
>
>Steve Jay
>shj@ultra.com  ...ames!ultra!shj
>Ultra Network Technologies / 101 Dagget Drive / San Jose, CA 95134 / USA
>(408) 922-0100 x130	"Home of the 1 Gigabit/Second network"

As mentioned in another posting, certain hardware requires 3.3, and
that's often the reason someone has a copy already. Also, certain
developers and OEMs, known as Geometry Partners, get distribution
earlier than everyone else.

We also have a contractual obligation to our Geometry Partners to give
them time to check out their code on the new release.

All customers with appropriate service contracts with Silicon Graphics
will be getting distribution of the 3.3 release. All of the factory
production lines will also roll to the 3.3 release. Anyone who does
not have a service contract with SGI will have to purchase the update.

Hope that helps.

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support
				Customer Support Division
email: dunlap@sgi.com		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

molenda@s1.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) (07/17/90)

aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:

>From article <1990Jul13.204439.19295@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds):
>>
>>     I called the SGI hotline, and they told me that 3.3 was going to ship
>> in August.  I'm confused - there seem to be quite a few people who have
>> had it for a while, judging by the messages posted here.  [...]

>This is not unusual by my experience.  We typically get our update six
>months after everyone else [or so it seems]...

We called our local rep and they had the distribution tapes at their office
and let us borrow them to do the upgrade.  I'd say try your local office...
Officially, I guess the upgrade won't be shipping until some time in
August (like David Hinds said).

Jason Molenda, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute
molenda@msi.umn.edu

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") (07/17/90)

   We bought a new VGX machine and it came with 3.3 and I think
the VGX machines ONLY work with 3.3 (or higher :-)).
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

dunlap@bigboote.sgi.com (D. Christopher Dunlap) (07/18/90)

In article <1990Jul16.194008.17038@s1.msi.umn.edu> molenda@s1.msi.umn.edu (Jason Molenda) writes:
>aihaug@AUSTIN.LOCKHEED.COM (Daniel A Haug) writes:
>
>>From article <1990Jul13.204439.19295@portia.Stanford.EDU>, by dhinds@portia.Stanford.EDU (David Hinds):
>>>
>>>     I called the SGI hotline, and they told me that 3.3 was going to ship
>>> in August.  I'm confused - there seem to be quite a few people who have
>>> had it for a while, judging by the messages posted here.  [...]
>
>>This is not unusual by my experience.  We typically get our update six
>>months after everyone else [or so it seems]...
>
>We called our local rep and they had the distribution tapes at their office
>and let us borrow them to do the upgrade.  I'd say try your local office...
>Officially, I guess the upgrade won't be shipping until some time in
>August (like David Hinds said).
>
>Jason Molenda, Minnesota Supercomputer Institute
>molenda@msi.umn.edu

The concern I'd have with this is that MOST people are going to
want the 3.3 release for it's new features, and the new features
are going to be close to useless to you without documentation.

Of course, I'm a particularly interested party in this discussion,
since often times people without documentation will use the Geometry
Hotline as "live documentation", which is rather frustrating for the
staff here, all of whom are much more interested in solving problems
than doing "over the phone tutorials" (as I'm sure you all can imagine).

So please bear with us. Assuming you have a Support Contract with SGI,
you will get your distribution Real Soon Now, so hang in there a few
weeks and you'll get the whole package, docs and all.

By the way, What does everyone think so far of the "Pipeline" Technical
Support Newsletter? Please send responses to "pipeline@csd.sgi.com".
Also, the new issue is out. If you haven't got it, you should see it
in the next week.

thanks much,

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support Engineering

In article <9007161955.AA01576@aero4.larc.nasa.gov> blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS361 x42854") writes:

>   We bought a new VGX machine and it came with 3.3 and I think
>the VGX machines ONLY work with 3.3 (or higher :-)).
>--
>
>	Brent L. Bates
>	NASA-Langley Research Center
>	M.S. 361
>	Hampton, Virginia  23665-5225
>	(804) 864-2854
>	E-mail: blbates@aero4.larc.nasa.gov or blbates@aero2.larc.nasa.gov

Yes, you are exactly correct.

chris

D. Christopher Dunlap  		Product Support Engineering
				Customer Support Division
email: dunlap@sgi.com		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

jcmiller@hydra.unm.edu (Jeff Miller) (08/22/90)

Just a quick question about 3.3:

    I was interested in upgrading a 4D/20 system from 3.10 to 3.3 in a
couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has had trouble installing the
new release on such a system. (hardware incompatibilities, etc.)

My system configuration:

Main unit
------------------
        IP6 motherboard:
	8Meg RAM
	Floating point option
	Archive Viper 150 (2150S) tape backup
	CDC 94171-344 SCSI hard drive

GR1.1 graphics board:
---------------------
	GR1 Rev E
	Z-buffer option
	Bit plane option

I have heard about 3.3 not working on some PI's. Hopefully, it will work
with my current configuration. 8-)

Thanks in advance for any information!!

jcmiller@hydra.unm.edu

**** I think not, therefore I am not...I think... ****

fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) (08/22/90)

> Just a quick question about 3.3:
>
>    I was interested in upgrading a 4D/20 system from 3.10 to 3.3 in a
> couple of weeks and was wondering if anyone has had trouble installing the
> new release on such a system. (hardware incompatibilities, etc.)

I have installed 3.3 successfully on a 4D/25TG without any trouble.  I would
expect it to work just as well on your system.  But your situation raises
another interesting question:  Is it possible to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3
without first installing 3.2?
Tony Facca   |   fsfacca@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318
      You are at Witt's end.  Passages lead off in *all* directions.

bobg@rains.wpd.sgi.com (Bob Green) (08/23/90)

In article <9008221422.AA06698@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov>, fsfacca@AVELON.LERC.NASA.GOV (Tony Facca) writes:

> I have installed 3.3 successfully on a 4D/25TG without any trouble.  I would
> expect it to work just as well on your system.  But your situation raises
> another interesting question:  Is it possible to upgrade from 3.1 to 3.3
> without first installing 3.2?
> --
> Tony Facca   |   fsfacca@avelon.lerc.nasa.gov      |     phone: 216-433-8318
>       You are at Witt's end.  Passages lead off in *all* directions.

Yes, 4D1-3.3 is designed to install over any previous system software
distribution from 4D1-2.0 through 4D1-3.3 itself.

Bob