[comp.sys.sgi] NQS question: answer and further questions

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (08/22/90)

In article <9008220412.aa14401@VGR.BRL.MIL>,
 XBR2D96D@DDATHD21.BITNET (Knobi der Rechnerschrat) writes:

>   I've heard that NQS is available in 3.3. Is NQS in the standard
>   software, or is it an option?

Our sales rep told me that it is an option. Price SFr. 1390.--

We want to run it in conjunction with a CONVEX CX batch implementation,
and the prerelease I had did not work properly. I have to
admit that this was before 3.3, and things changed a lot.

Could someone of SGI commment on the following:

Both CRAY and CONVEX NQS implementations communicate using a so-called
mid (machine id), which is maintained as node name. In contrast to
this, SGI used the internet number, giving problems on both other
implementations. Is this still true or did the implementation change ?
Further, I'd like to know which limits are supported. Because setrlimit is
now part of the kernel, it should support far more features than the 3.2
version...

Regards,
Reinhard

bh@sgi.com (Bent Hagemark) (08/23/90)

In article <1990Aug22.154058.911@urz.unibas.ch> doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>In article <9008220412.aa14401@VGR.BRL.MIL>,
> XBR2D96D@DDATHD21.BITNET (Knobi der Rechnerschrat) writes:
>

>>   I've heard that NQS is available in 3.3. Is NQS in the standard
>>   software, or is it an option?
>
>Our sales rep told me that it is an option. Price SFr. 1390.--
>
>We want to run it in conjunction with a CONVEX CX batch implementation,
>and the prerelease I had did not work properly. I have to
>admit that this was before 3.3, and things changed a lot.
>
>Could someone of SGI commment on the following:
>
>Both CRAY and CONVEX NQS implementations communicate using a so-called
>mid (machine id), which is maintained as node name. In contrast to
>this, SGI used the internet number, giving problems on both other
>implementations. Is this still true or did the implementation change ?
>Further, I'd like to know which limits are supported. Because setrlimit is
>now part of the kernel, it should support far more features than the 3.2
>version...
>
>Regards,
>Reinhard

1) NQS is available as an option.  It's called "4D/NQS".

2) 4D/NQS requires 3.3

3) 4D/NQS simply uses the IP number as the mid.

4) Limits supported:

	a) all of the setrlimit(2) limits:

		cpu time		RLIMIT_CPU
		file size		RLIMIT_FSIZE
		data			RLIMIT_DATA
		stack			RLIMIT_STACK
		core			RLIMIT_CORE
		resident set size	RLIMIT_RSS

	b) nice(2)

	c) non-degrading process scheduling priority, schedctl(2) NDPRI

	d) processor (on MP machines), sysmp(2) MP_MUSTRUN

Bent