[comp.sys.sgi] topost

zsd@PIG.DREA.DND.CA (Jim Diamond) (08/28/90)

We would like to capture screen images in TeX documents using scrdump
(or icut) followed by tobw followed by topost, followed by \special's
in TeX.  Even using the option of topost which uses just 1 bit, the
images are rather large and take a while to download.

Has anyone modified topost (or similar) so that images are run-length
encoded and then decoded by the printer?  If so, can you tell me about
it?  (We are using an Apple LaserWriter II NTX and a modification to
Beebe's dvialw driver.)

Any info would be appreciated.

			Jim Diamond
			zsd@pig.drea.dnd.ca

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU (08/28/90)

I would also like to paste images into tex documents.

Have you been able to put images in TeX ? How do you do it ?

Do you know if there is any tex support for the seiko color printer ?

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (08/28/90)

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:

>I would also like to paste images into tex documents.
>Have you been able to put images in TeX ? How do you do it ?

The generally accepted way to put images (or other
output-device-specific stuff) in LaTeX documents is to use \special.
It's low-level, and implies knowledge of the output filter you're
using -- your document will be less "portable".  Check the
dvi2whatever filter you're using and see what it supports by way of
\specials.

For PostScript, there exist a set of macros called psfig (see your
friendly neighbourhood TeX archive site -- sun.soe.clarkson.edu?  The
master copy used to be on linc.cis.upenn.edu) that allow inclusion of
encapsulated PostScript.  For example, with X11, you can do stuff like
	xwd | xpr -device ps > file.ps
and then include file.ps.  (R4 xpr will work, earlier versions will
not)  Most modern versions of dvi*ps provide the \specials that
psfig needs.

pgmtops (from the pbmplus image conversion utilities) will also
generate PostScript that you can include with psfig.

	Mark.