[comp.sys.sgi] WorkSpace from NFS mounted home directory

eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Carek) (08/29/90)

Does anybody know how to get WorkSpace to start when your home directory
is NFS mounted to another machine?  I checked the autostart parameter
using the System Manager and it says it should start.  Right now I'm
using the default user.ps file.  If I log in on the machine where my
home directory is WorkSpace starts fine, but if I try to log in from
a different machine that has my home directory NFS mounted to it,
WorkSpace will not start.  It won't even start if I try it from the
System Menu.

Thanks in advance.
| David Carek                   |   phone: 216-433-8396               |
| NASA Lewis Research Center    |                                     |
| Cleveland, Ohio  44135        |   email: eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov    |
| Engineer -> An innovative imaginative scientist who must design the |
|       improbable using the impossible on a budget that is invisible |

betsy@vesuvius.esd.sgi.com (Betsy Zeller) (08/30/90)

In article <1990Aug28.173010.6733@eagle.lerc.nasa.gov> eddc@opus.lerc.nasa.gov (Dave Carek) writes:

>Does anybody know how to get WorkSpace to start when your home directory
>is NFS mounted to another machine?  I checked the autostart parameter
>using the System Manager and it says it should start.  Right now I'm
>using the default user.ps file.  If I log in on the machine where my
>home directory is WorkSpace starts fine, but if I try to log in from
>a different machine that has my home directory NFS mounted to it,
>WorkSpace will not start.  It won't even start if I try it from the
>System Menu.

On the 3.3 version, WorkSpace does not work well if the home directory
is NFS mounted. There are two solutions to this.

	1. NFS mount your directories with the 'private' option
		(this may have other side effects for your NFS behaviour)
    OR
	2.  i) open a wsh window
	   ii) make yourself a directory that is on the machine from which
	       you are running workspace (eg /usr/tmp/foo)
	  iii) setenv HOME /usr/tmp/foo
	   iv) run workspace

Workspace will run fine in this environment, as long as you remember to
set your HOME variable to the empty directory you made, each time before you
start workspace.  Note that any files
you create using tools on your WorkSpace will appear in your new
$HOME/WorkSpace instead of your RealHomeDirectory/WorkSpace, but you can
pick them all and drag them to where you really want them after you
make them.

NOTE : Because any tool run from your WorkSpace will inherit the
environment variables that WorkSpace starts with, anything run from WorkSpace
will think that HOME = /usr/tmp/foo. This might be an issue with Mail,
but I can't think of anything else that it will affect. You will know
if your specialized programs expect to find certain file or directories in
$HOME, and make links to your RealHomeDirectory.

This bug is fixed in 3.3.1.

Betsy Zeller