[comp.sys.sgi] Questions about Personal IRIS

loan@polya.Stanford.EDU (James P. Loan) (12/07/89)

I have a few questions about the Personal IRIS, and I'd appreciate
any help. I'd ask our sales rep, but it takes us a week to reach
each other. We currently have a 2400T and we are about to order
a 4D/25 (prod# W-4D20G-38). We have also ordered the software
development package (S5-DV01) and the X-window package (S4-X113D).
The two machines will be connected by a 10Mbit Ethernet line.
My questions:

(1) I assume that the Personal IRIS comes standard with a 19"
    monitor (it doesn't say so on our quote), so we'll have
    the old 19" (1024x768) monitor from the 2400T as well as
    the new one (1280x1024). What we'd like to do is be able
    to run graphics programs on one (or the other) cpu and display
    them on either of the monitors. The scenario is that
    someone sits down at one of the monitors and is able to
    runs graphics programs located on either machine.
    Is this possible? If so, does something need to be done
    to the system before it is shipped to us?

(2) We are getting the so-called Super Graphics Upgrade to
    give a total of 56 bitplanes. Are the 24 z-buffer planes
    ONLY for z-buffering, or can we use 48 for color w/o
    z-buffering so that we can use RGB mode in double-buffer
    mode?

(3) Does the SGI WorkSpace software and Diagnostics software
    come standard?

(4) Is the data cache write-through and/or virtual-addressable?

Thanks in advance,
Peter Loan

loan%roses.stanford.edu@sunrise.stanford.edu
loan@polya.stanford.edu

bennett@galois.esd.sgi.com (Jim Bennett) (12/08/89)

In article <12939@polya.Stanford.EDU>, loan@polya.Stanford.EDU (James P. Loan) writes:

> (1) I assume that the Personal IRIS comes standard with a 19"
>     monitor

Yes.

>     (it doesn't say so on our quote), so we'll have
>     the old 19" (1024x768) monitor from the 2400T as well as
>     the new one (1280x1024). What we'd like to do is be able
>     to run graphics programs on one (or the other) cpu and display
>     them on either of the monitors. The scenario is that
>     someone sits down at one of the monitors and is able to
>     runs graphics programs located on either machine.
>     Is this possible? If so, does something need to be done
>     to the system before it is shipped to us?

Its not possible:  The 2400 doesn't support the 1280x1024 resolution.
The PI will eventually support both resolutions, but currently doesn't,
and the 1024x768 monitor we will support is a 14" Sony with different
timing than the old 19" monitor on the 2400.

> (2) We are getting the so-called Super Graphics Upgrade to
>     give a total of 56 bitplanes. Are the 24 z-buffer planes
>     ONLY for z-buffering, or can we use 48 for color w/o
>     z-buffering so that we can use RGB mode in double-buffer
>     mode?

Double buffered RGB mode is supported.  For this we divide the color
bitplanes into two 12-bit buffers, and use hardware dithering to
approximate true colors.  This works surprisingly well.

The Z-buffer can be used in a variety of ways, but only the color
bitplanes and the overlay/underlay and popup planes can be displayed.

> (3) Does the SGI WorkSpace software and Diagnostics software
>     come standard?

Yes.

> (4) Is the data cache write-through and/or virtual-addressable?

The data cache works on physical addresses and is write-through with
write buffers.

> Thanks in advance,
> Peter Loan
>
> loan%roses.stanford.edu@sunrise.stanford.edu
> loan@polya.stanford.edu

Jim Bennett

bennett@esd.sgi.com

yagi@unknown.Solbourne.COM (Yukio Yagi) (09/06/90)

I have posted the question about performance of Personal IRIS,
and I've got 2 same answers. I want to say "thank you" to those
who gave me answers. I appreciate your kindness.

                                                Yukio Yagi
                                                Solbourne Computer Inc.
                                                yagi@solbourne.com or
                                                uunet!stan!yagi