[comp.sys.sgi] PD nroff

ciemo@bananaPC.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) (09/08/90)

There have been requests on this alias for PD alternatives for formatting
nroff documents, especially for manual page viewing.  A program called awf
was posted to comp.sources.unix.  Its creator is Henry Spencer at the
University of Toronto.  It may be suitable for preformatting 3rd party manual
pages so that IRIX man command can display them.

							--- Ciemo

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU (09/09/90)

Great !

Where can I get it (Henry Spencers awf) ?
How do I get somthing in comp.sources.unix ? I don't have rn,
        and the main university does not keep postings more than a few days.
If you have Henry Spencers e-mail address, can I write him ?

dan.
| karron@nyu.edu                          Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| (212) 340 5210               \**\__________________________________________ |

moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes) (09/10/90)

karron@MCIRPS2.MED.NYU.EDU writes:
>Where can I get it (Henry Spencers awf) ?
>How do I get somthing in comp.sources.unix ? I don't have rn,
>        and the main university does not keep postings more than a few days.

cs.toronto.edu:pub/awf.shar.Z is a copy straight from Henry's
uucppublic.  (It's also on uunet.uu.net by now, and every
comp.sources.unix archive, presumably)

	Mark.
PS: No, Ed.  Don't repost this! :-)

From comp.archives Thu Sep 6 20:20:16 EDT 1990
From: moraes@cs.toronto.edu (Mark Moraes)
Newsgroups: comp.archives
Subject: [news.software.b] Re: cnews expire takes forever
Date: 6 Sep 90 22:58:56 GMT
Sender: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

Archive-name: awf/06-Sep-90
Archive-site: cs.toronto.edu [128.100.1.65]
Archive-directory: /pub
Reposted-by: emv@math.lsa.umich.edu (Edward Vielmetti)

In news.software.b you write:
>Needless to say, I will force myself to reformat ALL of the docs and read
>them completely before going any farther.  (anybody know of a good PD
>{n|t}roff that I can get hold of?)

Henry made a cryptic mention of awf, written specifically for this
purpose.  Since it hasn't shown up in comp.sources.unix yet, an easier
way to grab it might be to snarf pub/awf.shar.Z by anonymous ftp from
cs.toronto.edu.  Here's awf.README.  Perhaps some kind soul from
osu-cis or uunet will put it there for people without Internet
access.  Alternatively, try the ftp by mail service offered by
bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu (send a message saying "help")

If you have GNU C++ (g++), you may want to grab groff instead and get
it working.  It'll probably run a tad faster.  On the other hand, awf
is smaller.

	Mark.
----------
This is awf, the Amazingly Workable Formatter -- a "nroff -man" or
(subset) "nroff -ms" clone written entirely in (old) awk.

It is slow and has many restrictions, but does a decent job on most
manual pages and simple -ms documents, and isn't subject to AT&T's
brain-damaged licensing that denies many System V users any text
formatter at all.  It is also a text formatter that is simple enough
to be tinkered with, for people who want to experiment.

Type "make r" to run a regression test, formatting the manual page
(awf.1) and comparing it to a preformatted copy (awf.1.out).  Type
"make install" to install it.  Pathnames may need changing.

I don't know whether awf will run on 16-bit machines.  Data requirements
are modest, but I fear the programs are probably big enough to run awk
out of space.

I can't believe I really wrote this.

                                         Henry Spencer at U of Toronto Zoology
                                          henry@zoo.toronto.edu   utzoo!henry

lovstran@EuroPARC.Xerox.COM (Lennart Lovstrand) (09/10/90)

In article <1990Sep8.005221.6101@relay.wpd.sgi.com> ciemo@bananaPC.wpd.sgi.com (Dave Ciemiewicz) writes:
> There have been requests on this alias for PD alternatives for formatting
> nroff documents, especially for manual page viewing.  A program called awf
> [...]

You may also want to take a look at James Clark's ``groff'' in the GNU
archives at prep.ai.mit.edu.  Groff includes an implementation of
troff, pic, eqn, tbl, and the man macros and has drivers for
Postscript, TeX DVI, and typewriter-like devices.  Also included is a
modified version of the Berkeley me macros, and an enhanced version of
the X11R4 xditview.

It requires GNU's g++ 1.37.1 (available at the same location) or any
commercial C++ compiler implementing version 2.0 of the C++ language.

Works great!

--Lennart
--
Lennart <Lovstrand@EuroPARC.Xerox.COM>			R   _A _  N_   K
Rank Xerox EuroPARC, 61 Regent St, Cambridge, UK	\/ |_ |_) | | \/