[comp.sys.sgi] NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

sullivan@bean.princeton.edu (John M. Sullivan) (09/08/90)

I was trying to put a new Iris on our network, and copied a bunch of
files over from one of our other machines to get yp set up right, etc.
yp does now seem to work, but somehow I broke NeWS.

If I log in on the console now (without NOGRAPHICS), I get a message
(too quickly to read it) about the window server dying with status 1.
If I run /bin/news_server by hand, it says:
NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

The file /etc/hosts and the yp hosts database both contain proper entries
for cinnamon (128.112.16.70) and for localhost.  The networking is working
fine--nfs, yp, rlogin, ftp all are happy.

There doesn't seem to be a trace command on the iris like on the sun
to see what news_server is doing.  'strings' wasn't much help either.
Does anyone know what "host info" it is looking for where?

Thanks,
John Sullivan
sullivan@math.princeton.edu
--
John M. Sullivan	Princeton Univ. Math Dept.  sullivan@math.princeton.edu

todd@mljsg.pharm.Virginia.EDU (Todd Tenenholz) (09/11/90)

In article <2356@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sullivan@math.Princeton.EDU (John M. Sullivan) writes:
>I was trying to put a new Iris on our network, and copied a bunch of
>files over from one of our other machines to get yp set up right, etc.
>yp does now seem to work, but somehow I broke NeWS.
>
>If I log in on the console now (without NOGRAPHICS), I get a message
>(too quickly to read it) about the window server dying with status 1.
>If I run /bin/news_server by hand, it says:
>NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

   About 4 mos. ago, I had a similar problem when I tried to get my 120/GTX
hooked up to a domain nameserver (We don't run yp). The console would crash
with the error "Network protection violation". SGI informed me that IRIX 3.1x
has a bug that does not allow the window system to start if the query for
localhost does not come back 127.0.0.0. I know you have this set, but it may
still be worth looking into. Hope this helps.

--
Todd Tenenholz, Molecular Graphics Facility, U. Md. at Batimore.
Internet: todd@sg.ab.umd.edu

bennett@sgi.com (Jim Bennett) (09/11/90)

In article <2356@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sullivan@math.Princeton.EDU (John M. Sullivan) writes:

>I was trying to put a new Iris on our network, and copied a bunch of
>files over from one of our other machines to get yp set up right, etc.
>yp does now seem to work, but somehow I broke NeWS.
>
>If I log in on the console now (without NOGRAPHICS), I get a message
>(too quickly to read it) about the window server dying with status 1.
>If I run /bin/news_server by hand, it says:
>NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"

There was a problem in 3.2 that had these symptoms.  Check in the
the directory /usr/etc/yp for a file called "resolv.conf" (spelling?).
If it exists, delete it and reboot.  The NeWS server should now come up.

This problem is fixed in 3.3.

Jim Bennett			(bennett@esd.sgi.com)

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (09/11/90)

In article <1990Sep11.001121.4449@odin.corp.sgi.com> bennett@sgi.com (Jim Bennett) writes:
>In article <2356@idunno.Princeton.EDU> sullivan@math.Princeton.EDU (John M. Sullivan) writes:
>
>>I was trying to put a new Iris on our network, and copied a bunch of
>>files over from one of our other machines to get yp set up right, etc.
>>yp does now seem to work, but somehow I broke NeWS.
>>
>>If I log in on the console now (without NOGRAPHICS), I get a message
>>(too quickly to read it) about the window server dying with status 1.
>>If I run /bin/news_server by hand, it says:
>>NeWS can't find host information for "cinnamon"
>
>There was a problem in 3.2 that had these symptoms.  Check in the
>the directory /usr/etc/yp for a file called "resolv.conf" (spelling?).

It's /usr/etc/resolv.conf.

>If it exists, delete it and reboot.  The NeWS server should now come up.

Of course, if you delete it, NeWS and every other network application
will resolve hostnames from /etc/hosts (assuming YP/NIS isn't running).
(NeWS doesn't use YP.)

>This problem is fixed in 3.3.

IRIX 3.3 is much more robust when there are name server problems.