[comp.sys.sgi] electropaint

corkum@csri.toronto.edu (Brent Thomas Corkum) (09/18/90)

I just downloaded the electro paint program from the net and tried to
run it with no success. I have a 4D/25 turbo, downloaded the program,
ran uudecode on it. This created a ep executable which I tried to run.
I got the message : Illegal Instruction (core dumped). Can anyone
explain this phenomena (ie. Paul??).

Brent
corkum@ecf.toronto.edu

rbriber@POLY1.NIST.GOV (09/19/90)

So I uudecoded the electropaint program (ep) that just came across the
newsletter (it had "end" at the bottom of the message) and uudecode gave
no complaints, but when I run it nothing happens.  Well, I mean that the
window I run it from just sits there, but nothing else.  What's it supposed
to do?  I sort of expected a window to open or something.  Anyone else have
any luck?

| Adios Amoebas,      | "I've tried and I've tried and I'm still mystified,  |
|   Robert Briber     |  I can't do it anymore and I'm not satisfied."       |
|   224/B210  NIST    |                                 --Elvis              |
|   Gaithersburg, MD  |------------------------------------------------------|
|   20899  USA        | rbriber@poly1.nist.gov   (Internet)                  |
|(301) 975-6775(voice)| rbriber@enh.nist.gov     (Internet)                  |
|(301) 975-2128 (fax) | rbriber@nbsenh           (Bitnet)                    |

tristram@conan.esd.sgi.com (09/19/90)

seem's like IRIX 3.3 is needed to run the verson of electropaint Paul
sent out.  Be patient, I guess.
David Tristram
tristram@sgi.com

SERRER@nrcm3.nrc.ca (Martin Serrer) (09/19/90)

Robert Briber writes...
>So I uudecoded the electropaint program (ep) that just came across the
>newsletter (it had "end" at the bottom of the message) and uudecode gave
>no complaints, but when I run it nothing happens.  Well, I mean that the
>window I run it from just sits there, but nothing else.  What's it supposed
>to do?  I sort of expected a window to open or something.  Anyone else have
>any luck?

Ditto for me...
                                Martin
| Martin Serrer                           Systems Lab., Bldg. M3, Montreal Rd.|
| 613-993-9442 (Bell)                     National Research Council of Canada,|
| serrer@syslab.nrc.ca   (E-mail)         Ottawa,  Ontario,  Canada  K1A-0R6  |
+--------------- If my computer is a car, I don't want a roof ----------------+

bam@sgi.com (Brian McClendon) (09/20/90)

In article <TRISTRAM.90Sep19112132@conan.esd.sgi.com> tristram@conan.esd.sgi.com writes:

>seem's like IRIX 3.3 is needed to run the verson of electropaint Paul
>sent out.  Be patient, I guess.
>--
>--
>David Tristram
>tristram@sgi.com

This is an important point.  Executables linked with 3.3.x libgl_s.a
will not run on 3.2 systems.  Old executables linked with =<3.2.x
libgl_s.a will work on on 3.3.x systems.  This shows we support
backwards binary compatibility, but not forward (depending on
your sense (?)).
   Brian McClendon bam@rudedog.SGI.COM ...!uunet!sgi!rudedog!bam 415-335-1110

dwatts@ki.UUCP (Dan Watts) (09/20/90)

In article <9009182230.AA03905@poly1.nist.gov> rbriber@POLY1.NIST.GOV writes:
>window I run it from just sits there, but nothing else.  What's it supposed
>to do?  I sort of expected a window to open or something.  Anyone else have
>any luck?

It almost popped up a window for me.  Then I got:

ERROR #98  gconfig: not enough bitplanes for RGBmode.: ERR_INVALIDMODE
Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Guess an 8-bit plane system isn't good enough....
# CompuServe: >INTERNET:uunet.UU.NET!ki!dwatts    Dan Watts         #
# UUCP      : ...!{uunet | wgc386}!ki!dwatts      Ki Research, Inc. #
############### New Dimensions In Network Connectivity ##############

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (09/22/90)

rbriber@POLY1.NIST.GOV writes:

>So I uudecoded the electropaint program (ep) that just came across the
>newsletter (it had "end" at the bottom of the message) and uudecode gave
>no complaints, but when I run it nothing happens.  Well, I mean that the
>window I run it from just sits there, but nothing else.  What's it supposed
>to do?  I sort of expected a window to open or something.  Anyone else have
>any luck?

Nope :-)  Same as you, ep just sits there doing nothing.

		ian
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group