[comp.sys.sgi] 1/2 inch Magnetic Tapes

root@sgzh.uucp (Bruno Pape) (09/25/90)

Hello again everyone,

Today I would like to move a Cipher M890 or M891 1/2 inch magnetic
tape drive with a Pertec interface from an IRIS 3130 to a PI.

The first problem is that the VME connectors on the 3000 seem to be
different than on the PI.  The next one I can only guess would be a
driver problem?

Can anyone help me out?  Would the Xylogics 772 1/2 mag tape controller
work with that drive?  Should I just chuck it out the window and by a
new SCSI drive?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

markb@mark.Solbourne.COM (Mark Bradley) (09/27/90)

In article <1990Sep25.160807.6878@sgzh.uucp> root%sgzh.uucp@uunet.uu.net (Bruno Pape) writes:
>Hello again everyone,
>
>Today I would like to move a Cipher M890 or M891 1/2 inch magnetic
>tape drive with a Pertec interface from an IRIS 3130 to a PI.
>
>The first problem is that the VME connectors on the 3000 seem to be
>different than on the PI.

That's because the VME connectors on the 3000 are not VME connectors.
They're Multibus connectors.

>The next one I can only guess would be a
>driver problem?

No.  You need the 772.  It runs this drive just fine.

>Can anyone help me out?  Would the Xylogics 772 1/2 mag tape controller
>work with that drive?  Should I just chuck it out the window and by a
>new SCSI drive?

Not if the old one still works...  Check the cost of a 772 vs. the SCSI
1/2 inch drive, tho.  It may be close to a `wash'.

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bruno
							markb

--
Mark Bradley   (DoD#1100)		  Faster, faster, until the thrill
I/O Subsystems				of speed overcomes the fear of death.