[comp.sys.sgi] NQS on iris fed from sun

torda@igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda) (10/02/90)

Imagine one has sgi's port of NQS running on an iris and Sterling softwares
original NQS running on a sun.

Has anyone managed to persuade the iris to accept requests from the sun ?
NQS on suns, crays and possibly others seems to put great weight on user id's
machine id's and the nmapmgr (qmapmgr on cray) program to inform the batch
system of this mapping.

Sgi's port does not seem to provide such a mapping. What does this mean ?
Thanks for any advice.
--
Andrew Torda, ETH, Zurich

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct2.152835@igc.ethz.ch>, torda@igc.ethz.ch (Andrew Torda) writes:
> Imagine one has sgi's port of NQS running on an iris and Sterling softwares
> original NQS running on a sun.
Applies also for CRAY and CONVEX NQS.

> Has anyone managed to persuade the iris to accept requests from the sun ?
> NQS on suns, crays and possibly others seems to put great weight on user id's
> machine id's and the nmapmgr (qmapmgr on cray) program to inform the batch
> system of this mapping.
Called qmapmgr on Convex as well.

> Sgi's port does not seem to provide such a mapping. What does this mean ?
> Thanks for any advice.
> --
> Andrew Torda, ETH, Zurich

Qmapmgr maps the ethernet location of a machine to the nqs socket.
The resulting entry is kept in a (binary) database and the entries are
numbered as integers, the so-called machine id. In order to make things easier,
SGI is using the internet address. I failed so far to hack the connection
in between the two because the mid (machine id) cannot be a four byte
number. Anyone else in netland having had success so far ?
(Or, anyone of SGI ever thought of commenting on the problem of interconnecting
hardware? :-) Sorry, I appreciate that things are easier if you don't need
to get just another database to maintain but in this case it would be nice.)

- Reinhard