[comp.sys.sgi] Missing Software ?

steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder) (09/29/90)

   I recieved my 3.3 upgrade the other day and there was nothing for the
Documentor's Workbench and the Laser Printer options nor for the Iris
Visual tools (Wavefront Personal Visualizer etc).  Am I missing something
I should have recieved or was there no upgrade for these products ?
--
     Steve VanGorder

john@ERIN.JSC.NASA.GOV (John Fwu) (09/29/90)

    After we got our 3.3 upgrade, we were looking for the DWB and Laser
Printer options too.  After contacted the SGI Hot line, they told us those
software didn't get revised. -- This is not mentioned in the release note.

    We used to copy all upgrades to disks, then used the network to upgrade
those systems without tape drive.  This time we suffered a lot, after
consulted with SGI hot line, we found out that 'distcp' does not working
as before.  -- This is not mentioned in the release note.

    We used a remote tape drive to upgrade those systems without tape
drive, and we had to modify /usr/etc/inetd.conf
from:
	tftp dgram udp  wait  guest /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd -s /usr/local/boot
to:
	tftp dgram udp  wait  guest /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd
otherwise we will get TFTP error.

    Since our ethernet traffic is heavy, SGI hot line instruct me to type
	'set timeout 45'
to get ride of timeout problem while using remote tape drive.

    Hope this mail can save you two~three days of time. GOOD LUCK!!!
\ J. John Fwu                     \ Internet: fwu@mpad.span.nasa.gov     \
 \ Barrios Tech.                   \ SPANnet: MPAD::FWU                   \
  \ NASA JSC, ER4/BARR              \ TEXnet: UTADNX::UTSPAN::MPAD::FWU    \
   \ Houston, TX 77058               \ Voice: (713) 483-8101 FAX: 483-3204  \

bobg@rains.wpd.sgi.com (Bob Green) (10/01/90)

In article <9009281828.AA22187@chaos.ocean.fsu.edu>, steve@CHAOS.OCEAN.FSU.EDU (Steve Van Gorder) writes:

|>    I recieved my 3.3 upgrade the other day and there was nothing for the
|> Documentor's Workbench and the Laser Printer options nor for the Iris
|> Visual tools (Wavefront Personal Visualizer etc).  Am I missing something
|> I should have recieved or was there no upgrade for these products ?
|> --
|>      Steve VanGorder

Out of the more than 40 SGI authored or ported applications most were not changed
in the transition from 4D1-3.2 to 4D1-3.3.  The Documenters' Workbench, Laser
Printer Support, and Visual Tools were just a few of the options which did not
require a new version to be compatible.

It sounds like your received the correct software.

Bob Green
Software QA Mgr
Silicon Graphics, Inc.

news@helens.Stanford.EDU (news) (10/02/90)

   We used a remote tape drive to upgrade those systems without tape
   drive, and we had to modify /usr/etc/inetd.conf
   from:
	   tftp dgram udp  wait  guest /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd -s /usr/local/boot
   to:
	   tftp dgram udp  wait  guest /usr/etc/tftpd  tftpd
   otherwise we will get TFTP error.

    Hope this mail can save you two~three days of time. GOOD LUCK!!!

Be advised that if you are on the Internet, running tftpd without the
"-s /usr/local/boot" option allows anyone on the Inernet (from
Australia to Peoria to Germany) to access any publicly readable file
on the system, including /etc/passwd.  So anyone doing this may want
to change inetd.conf back after the installation is done.  A better
solution would be to copy all the required files (whatever they may
be) to a tree under /usr/local/boot.

It's good to see SGI is improving the default security on their
systems.  A couple years ago, there was no "chroot" flag for tftpd,
and the diag account (uid=0, shell=/bin/csh) didn't come with a
password.  Many SGI owners (at least around here) didn't bother or
think one was necessary.  (SGI was not alone in this.  Sun's old
sysdiag (uid=0, shell=sysdiag) account had even more problems since
many sysadmins were under the impression that sysdiag was "secure,"
which it was not in the least.)

Moral: if you don't know what the account does, put a password on it.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

bernie@umbc3.UMBC.EDU (Bernard J. Duffy) (10/03/90)

In article <1990Oct1.165343.4164@odin.corp.sgi.com> bobg@rains.wpd.sgi.com (Bob Green) writes:

>Out of the more than 40 SGI authored or ported applications most were
>    not changed
>in the transition from 4D1-3.2 to 4D1-3.3.
     Was there a PASCAL tape for 3.3[.1] (from 3.2) ?  We got one for the
DEV software (C compiler / environment) so I expect one for PASCAL .  I'd
normally hunt down my sales person and wait for his reply, but from this
message from Bob Green, I don't expect a tape will be necessary.

--
Bernie Duffy   Systems Programmer II | Bitnet    :  BERNIE@UMBC2
Academic Computing Services - L005e  | Internet  :  BERNIE@UMBC2.UMBC.EDU

bobg@rains.wpd.sgi.com (Bob Green) (10/04/90)

|>      Was there a PASCAL tape for 3.3[.1] (from 3.2) ?  We got one for the
|> DEV software (C compiler / environment) so I expect one for PASCAL .  I'd
|> normally hunt down my sales person and wait for his reply, but from this
|> message from Bob Green, I don't expect a tape will be necessary.

You are correct.  Pascal was not re-released so the version you have is
already correct.