[comp.sys.sgi] Plotting scientific data on Irises.

amm@monet.wag.caltech.edu (Alan M. Mathiowetz) (10/03/90)

	We are looking for a good commercial package for plotting two- and three-
dimensional scientific data on SGI workstations.  We have a fairly large number
of users, so the easier the package is to use, the better -- i.e. a menu-driven
program would be ideal.  Postscript output would be great, but is not absolutely
necessary.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

kalle@sima.sintef.no (10/07/90)

>"Alan M. Mathiowetz" writes:
>
>	We are looking for a good commercial package for plotting two- and three-
>dimensional scientific data on SGI workstations.  We have a fairly large number
>of users, so the easier the package is to use, the better -- i.e. a menu-driven
>program would be ideal.  Postscript output would be great, but is not absolutely
>necessary.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

We are using UNIRAS from UNIRAS as in Coperhagen for that purpose, on Cray,
Vax
Suns and Irises. It is a really good package, with a lot of drivers for
plotters
and terminals... it is somewhat expensive, but i think you might like it...
It has several interactive programs for simple and more complex 2 and 3D
graphics
and it has a very well documented subroutine library... really class !

You might consider contacting them, phone +45 31 672288...

-karl

!===========================================================================
=!
! From the keyboard of Karl Eggestad. The opinions expressed are mine, and
do !
! not necessarily reflect those of my employer, SINTEF of Trondheim,
Norway.  !
!===========================================================================
=!

SERRER@nrcm3.nrc.ca (Martin Serrer) (10/11/90)

  Sorry to post this but direct mail to Allan Mathiowetz bounced.
Hi Allan,

  Try PV-WAVE from:

 Precision Visuals
 6260 Lookout Rd.
 Boulder Colorado.
 (303) 530-9000

  We have been using it on our VAXen here and are very pleased with it. It runs
on most platforms including SGI, VAX/VMS/ULTRIX, SUNS. It is not menu driven but
it IS quite a nice interactive package, 2 and 3 dimensional, Image analysis
commands, X-window support (as well as a zillion different graphics terminals),
Postscript output, external routine calls, Interpreted and compiled procedures
and more. A bonus is that the Hotline is very good.

                                Martin
| Martin Serrer                           Systems Lab., Bldg. M3, Montreal Rd.|
| 613-993-9442 (Bell)                     National Research Council of Canada,|
| serrer@syslab.nrc.ca   (E-mail)         Ottawa,  Ontario,  Canada  K1A-0R6  |
+------------------- Software Rusts, Rust never Sleeps -----------------------+