[comp.sys.sgi] grcond error logging

sdempsey@UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) (10/04/90)

IRIS models:	4D/25TG and 4D/340VGX
OS version:	3.3.1

Grcond (the mysterious, undocumented graphics console daemon) displays some
very annoying behavior with regards to its use of SYSLOG.

Every time the news_server is killed by a logout and grcond restarts,
it dumps many lines of copyright legalese into /usr/adm/SYSLOG.
If any system errors then occur, such as recoverable tape errors, the
legalese dissppears and is replaced by all of the errors that have occured
since the last reboot.

The result is the /usr/adm/SYSLOG becomes bloated with repeated listings of
old errors, making it difficult to notice any new ones.  How do I prevent this?
Does grcond use a specific syslogd message type that I can redirect to
/dev/null in /etc/syslog.conf?
Steve Dempsey					voice:	  (619) 534-0208
Dept. of Chemistry Computer Facility, 0314	UUCP:	  ucsd!sdempsey
University of Calif. at San Diego		BITNET:	  sdempsey@ucsd
9500 Gilman Drive				INTERNET: sdempsey@ucsd.edu
La Jolla, CA 92093-0314				fax:	  (619) 534-0058

buck@drax.gsfc.nasa.gov (Loren (Buck) Buchanan) (10/05/90)

In article <9010031947.AA10488@chem.chem.ucsd.edu> sdempsey@UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>Grcond (the mysterious, undocumented graphics console daemon) displays some
>very annoying behavior with regards to its use of SYSLOG.

Talking about grcond & syslogd, we got the following recently:

grcond[16092]: Child process /bin/wsh terminated with status 9
grcond[16092]: CIO: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 49 phase 46
grcond[16092]: CIO: sc0,1: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt error, phase 0x46, state 0x49
grcond[16092]: CIO: dks0d1s0 bad return 2 from scsi driver
grcond[16092]: CIO:
grcond[16092]: CIO: NOTICE: i/o error in swap, [ groui ] -- dev 0x1621, blkno 0x9A18
grcond[16092]: CIO: Hangup
grcond[16092]: Child process /bin/news_server terminated with status 0

It killed the application and the wsh the application had been run from.
Upon logging back in, the following was added to SYSLOG:

grcond[16218]: CIO: resid of 44, count 96
grcond[16218]: CIO: resid of 44, count 96
grcond[16218]: CIO: resid of 60, count 96
grcond[16218]: CIO: sc0: Unexpected info phase, state 49 phase 46
grcond[16218]: CIO: sc0,1: Resetting SCSI bus: stray interrupt error, phase 0x46, state 0x49
grcond[16218]: CIO: dks0d1s0 bad return 2 from scsi driver
grcond[16218]: CIO:
grcond[16218]: CIO: NOTICE: i/o error in swap, [ groui ] -- dev 0x1621, blkno 0x9A18

What could cause the SCSI error?  I think it might be due to the new tape
drive and cable.  The resid messages I think are the results of a program
I am writing to access the new tape drive via the SCSI driver, but I
haven't run the program since yesterday.  None of these messages are
documented in Appendix C-4 of the System Admin. Guide.  What do these
messages mean?

We are running IRIX 3.2 on a 4D/20.

Thankx & B Cing U

Buck

Loren Buchanan     | buck@drax.gsfc.nasa.gov   | #include <std_disclaimer.h>
CSC, 1100 West St. | ...!ames!dftsrv!drax!buck | typedef int by
Laurel, MD 20707   | (301) 497-2531            | void where_prohibited(by law){}
CD International lists over 40,000 pop music CDs, collect the whole set.

doelz@urz.unibas.ch (10/10/90)

In article <9010031947.AA10488@chem.chem.ucsd.edu>, sdempsey@UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) writes:
> IRIS models:	4D/25TG and 4D/340VGX
> OS version:	3.3.1
>
> Grcond (the mysterious, undocumented graphics console daemon) displays some
> very annoying behavior with regards to its use of SYSLOG.
>
> Every time the news_server is killed by a logout and grcond restarts,
> it dumps many lines of copyright legalese into /usr/adm/SYSLOG.
> If any system errors then occur, such as recoverable tape errors, the
> legalese dissppears and is replaced by all of the errors that have occured
> since the last reboot.
>
> The result is the /usr/adm/SYSLOG becomes bloated with repeated listings of
> old errors, making it difficult to notice any new ones.  How do I prevent this?
> Does grcond use a specific syslogd message type that I can redirect to
> /dev/null in /etc/syslog.conf?

Look in the release notes of the maintenance tape, chapter 6.1. In
some other context, it says:

:       Here's a workaround using the filter mechanism in syslogd.
:       grcond messages are in the ``daemon'' facility. Any selector
:       lines in /etc/syslog.conf that output daemon messages to the
:       console must be filtered to remove grcond messages.  A
:       typical example of such an entry is:  *.debug;kern.none
:       /dev/console The steps are:
:
:         1.  Create the shell script called /usr/adm/grcond.filt
:             containing:  #!/bin/sh # this syslogd filter rejects
:             grcond messages read line set $line case "$1" {
:                 grcond\[*)
:                     exit 0
:                     ;; } echo "$line\c" exit 0
:
:         2.  Make the shell script executable:  chmod +x
:             /usr/adm/grcond.filt
:
:         3.  Change syslog.conf entries that print daemon messages
:             to /dev/console to use the filter.  Using the example
:             above:  *.debug;kern.none   |/usr/adm/grcond.filt
:             /dev/console
:
:             Note:  Use tab characters to separate the fields in
:                    the syslog.conf entries.
:
:         4.  Tell syslogd to re-read /etc/syslog.conf:  killall 1
:             syslogd
:

This will help your problem getting solved.

*My* question, in turn, is, that I use this mechanism to filter the
password ascii text from the ftpd logging. Is there any other,
more intelligent way to convince the ftp daemon to stop dumping
the password to the log file ?

Regards
Reinhard

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (10/11/90)

In article <1990Oct10.081718.1012@urz.unibas.ch> doelz@urz.unibas.ch writes:
>In article <9010031947.AA10488@chem.chem.ucsd.edu>, sdempsey@UCSD.EDU (Steve Dempsey) writes:
>> Does grcond use a specific syslogd message type that I can redirect to
>> /dev/null in /etc/syslog.conf?
>
>Look in the release notes of the maintenance tape, chapter 6.1. In
>some other context, it says:

The text describing the grcond workaround is incorrectly formatted.
Here's the correct version:

If syslogd(1M) is enabled to output messages to /dev/console
and the console is a wsh(1) window, the system might become
unusable due to an interaction between syslogd and the
graphics console daemon, grcond.  The problem doesn't exist
on machines that use a terminal as the console, such as
POWER Series servers.

----- cut here -----
#!/bin/sh
# this syslogd filter rejects grcond messages
read line
set $line
case "$1" {
	grcond\[*)