[comp.sys.sgi] Motif or Open Look Development Systems on IRIS; When?

Tim_Buxton@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (10/05/90)

  We have the Xlib X development system from SGI.  We want something
higher-level, such as Motif or Open Look, as soon as possible.  is
SGI offering these in the near future?  Are Third and Fourth Parties
offering them?  We want Nice User Interfaces with X, but hate to
sacrifice the GL graphics capabilities.  I think a few weeks
back we were given some hope of combining the two in a window
in the future.  Are there any further developments in that regard?

  Thanks for any information you can give us.

                       -Tim Buxton
                       OptiMetrics, Inc.

ken@msc.EDU (Ken Chin-Purcell) (10/08/90)

Tim Buxton writes:

|>   We have the Xlib X development system from SGI.  We want something
|> higher-level, such as Motif or Open Look, as soon as possible.

For now I am rolling my own.  X11R4 compiled out of
the box, so that has become my client side development system.
The Motif widgets (Xm) also compiled from source, after the correct
compiler flags were used.  Mail me for our sgi.cf file.
I use Martin Brunecky's X resource based widget tool 'WcXc'
to quickly prototype interfaces.

Until SGI merges 4sight with X I will use two separate windows,
one a Motif based "control panel", the other a gl window with wizzo
graphics.

--
--  Ken

rhbartls@watcgl.waterloo.edu (Richard Bartels) (10/08/90)

In article <6985921@um.cc.umich.edu> Tim_Buxton@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

>  We have the Xlib X development system from SGI.  We want something
>higher-level, such as Motif or Open Look, as soon as possible.  is
>SGI offering these in the near future?  Are Third and Fourth Parties
>offering them?  .......

Get it touch with Visual Edge Software Ltd., 514 332 6430.
They have UIMX, a Motif-based user interface management system
that runs on the Iris.  It provides an editor which you use to edit
widgets graphically and associate them with callbacks.  You can set
a large variety of properties for the interface, and you can
interpret the C callback code to preview the interface before
compiling.  X knows nothing about the GL library at present, so
3-D windows must still be handled separately from X.  This means that
you can influence the flow of your program through X widgets, but
picking and 3-D display still take place separately through GL windows.
A minor problem only.  The only annoyance is in window repair.
A 3-D window moved over a widget, or a widget over a 3-D window,
and then moved away, will leave a mis-colored screen fragment
that must be repaired manually (e.g. by iconify-deiconify).
No problem if the screen real estate is set up judiciously and
kept from cross-conflicts.

Visual Edge has a scientific visualization package called VIA that makes
use of GL windows with Motiv-widget frames.  It is quite impressive.

My understanding is that Visual Edge is working with SGI to offer UIMX as
an SGI-available product, but I may be wrong.

-Richard

ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) (10/10/90)

Tim_Buxton@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:

>  We have the Xlib X development system from SGI.  We want something
>higher-level, such as Motif or Open Look, as soon as possible.  is
>SGI offering these in the near future?  Are Third and Fourth Parties
>offering them?  We want Nice User Interfaces with X, but hate to
>sacrifice the GL graphics capabilities.  I think a few weeks
>back we were given some hope of combining the two in a window
>in the future.  Are there any further developments in that regard?

I kind of heard on the grapevine that SG's internal user interface toolkit
project has been cancelled. Could we please get a definitive comment from
SG here with regards to this ??

Most of us out here will really hurt *bad* if there is no 'higher level'
toolkit for the efficient mixing of GL and X. The hardest part that I can
see with the mix of the two will be the handling of GL & X events.
Sigh ..... _more_ things to try to take care of :-)

			ian

PS with regard to another followup to the original posting, I got to see the
UIMX product a few days ago - looks pretty slick.
--
                Ian Hoyle
     /\/\       Image Processing & Data Analysis Group

jym@sgi.com (jim terhorst) (10/11/90)

In article <ianh.655574485@morgana> ianh@bhpmrl.oz.au (Ian Hoyle) writes:
>Tim_Buxton@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>

>>  We have the Xlib X development system from SGI.  We want something
>>higher-level, such as Motif or Open Look, as soon as possible.  is
>>SGI offering these in the near future?
SGI announced support for the Motif toolkit at the Federal Computer
Conference a couple weeks ago.  It will be shipping in December, 1990 or
January 1991.

>>Are Third and Fourth Parties offering them?
ICS offers Motif for the SGI platform today.

>>We want Nice User Interfaces with X, but hate to
>>sacrifice the GL graphics capabilities.  I think a few weeks
>>back we were given some hope of combining the two in a window
>>in the future.  Are there any further developments in that regard?
Keep your eyes peeled to this forum for further developments in this area.

>I kind of heard on the grapevine that SG's internal user interface toolkit
>project has been cancelled. Could we please get a definitive comment from
>SG here with regards to this ??
This is still an open issue at SGI.

>Most of us out here will really hurt *bad* if there is no 'higher level'
>toolkit for the efficient mixing of GL and X. The hardest part that I can
>see with the mix of the two will be the handling of GL & X events.
>Sigh ..... _more_ things to try to take care of :-)
Again, keep your eyes peeled to this forum for information regarding this
issue.

		Jim Terhorst
		X and Motif Product Marketing Manager
		Silicon Graphics Computer Systems

SERRER@nrcm3.nrc.ca (Martin Serrer) (10/11/90)

Jim Terhorst writes...

>SGI announced support for the Motif toolkit at the Federal Computer
>Conference a couple weeks ago.  It will be shipping in December, 1990 or
>January 1991.

Is this going to be a 'standard offering' with IRIX or will it be an additional
cost option? We have the X development kit from SGI. Will MOTIF be an upgrade to
this?
                                Martin
| Martin Serrer                           Systems Lab., Bldg. M2, Montreal Rd.|
| 613-993-9442                            National Research Council of Canada,|
| serrer@syslab.nrc.ca                    Ottawa,  Ontario,  Canada  K1A-0R6  |
+------------------- Software Rusts, Rust never Sleeps -----------------------+

jym@sgi.com (jim terhorst) (10/16/90)

In article <1F8D00DA9DFF000EBB@NRCNET.NRC.CA> SERRER@nrcm3.nrc.ca (Martin Serrer) writes:
>Jim Terhorst writes...
>
>>SGI announced support for the Motif toolkit at the Federal Computer
>>Conference a couple weeks ago.  It will be shipping in December, 1990 or
>>January 1991.
>
>Is this going to be a 'standard offering' with IRIX or will it be an additional
>cost option? We have the X development kit from SGI. Will MOTIF be an upgrade to
>this?

No, There will be a Motif Development Environment option.  The price has
not yet been determined, but should be around $400.  Motif will not be
an upgrade to the X development Environment.

		thanks,

		jim terhorst
		X and Motif Product Manager, SGI