[comp.sys.sgi] dog

rdombro@ARDEC.ARPA ("Robert M. Dombroski ", FSAC) (11/28/88)

Good morning to all you pilots out there.  About a year and a half ago I
received a TCP/IP version of dog that required a routine to be running on one
of the network machines (called ATC) and each machine on the net had to
reference that file in order to play dog.  This version of dog tended to crap
out at various times and could handle at best 4-5 players.  SO, last Xmas, I
loaded up the XNS kernel and XNS dog and had the pilots boot the machines in
XNS to play during the 'holiday season'.  Before I reload the XNS dog again
for this holiday season, is there a better functioning TCP version than the
one I have?  I can't tell from the mailgoing around about dog if its the same
one or not, but I have a feeling it is.

Thanks
Bob Dombroski

paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) (09/15/89)

Anyone out there have a version of /usr/demos/dog which sends out
"broadcast" packets to only one (or a select few) machines ?  We were
running dog on two Irises until we found out that the broadcast
packets and subsequent responses slowed down the entire network.
Now we can only run flight *sigh*.

(We thought about just disconnecting the Irises from the rest of
the network, but we need to access their disks via NFS.)

- Paul Ning

blbates@AERO4.LARC.NASA.GOV ("Brent L. Bates AAD/TAB MS294 x42854") (09/15/89)

   I have posed that question before, so far I haven't heard of any.
Has anyone done that yet?
--

	Brent L. Bates
	NASA-Langley Research Center

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (09/17/89)

In article <8909150443.AA29598@kaos.Stanford.EDU> paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) writes:

>Anyone out there have a version of /usr/demos/dog which sends out
>"broadcast" packets to only one (or a select few) machines ?  We were
>running dog on two Irises until we found out that the broadcast
>packets and subsequent responses slowed down the entire network.
>Now we can only run flight *sigh*.
>
>(We thought about just disconnecting the Irises from the rest of
>the network, but we need to access their disks via NFS.)
>
>- Paul Ning

In the IRIX 3.3 release for the IRIS-4D, "dog" will send multicast packets
by default. For backward compatibility with 3000's and 4D's running older
releases, "dog" can use broadcasting.

Multicasting has two benefits: 1) it will not affect machines that aren't
listening to the "dog" multicast address, and 2) "dog" packets can be
forwarded between networks. (BTW, we're using the IP multicast/IGMP/DVMRP
software written by Steve Deering of Stanford.)

newsuser@lth.se (LTH network news server) (09/18/89)

In article <8909150443.AA29598@kaos.Stanford.EDU> paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) writes:

>Anyone out there have a version of /usr/demos/dog which sends out
>"broadcast" packets to only one (or a select few) machines ?

Yes, we have modified one of the files in the `dog' source code so
it sends packets to one machine; it reads the environment variable
ENEMY, and then opens a conventional (non-broadcast) connection.

I can mail or post a context diff of the changes needed.

Dag Michael Bruck
--
Department of Automatic Control		Internet:  dag@control.lth.se
Lund Institute of Technology

paul@KAOS.STANFORD.EDU (Paul Ning) (09/19/89)

In article <1989Sep18.061126.4590@lth.se> dag@control.lth.se
(Dag Michael Bruck) writes:

> Yes, we have modified one of the files in the `dog' source code so
> it sends packets to one machine; it reads the environment variable
> ENEMY, and then opens a conventional (non-broadcast) connection.
>
> I can mail or post a context diff of the changes needed.

That would be great, but I can't find the source code on my machines.
Was this an option you selected during installation or did you have
to ask SGI for it?

- Paul Ning

bmiller@shamash.cdc.com ( EMD) (09/19/89)

I am wondering if one of the JOVE experts out there could help me
with the problem I am having compiling JOVE.  When I do a make
(version 4.13 or 4.14)  I get the following:

**** make started at Mon Sep 18 16:03:48 CDT 1989 ****
        cc -O -I/usr/include/bsd -c keys.c
cpp: warning ./jove.h:53: const redefined [This does NOT occur in V4.14]
ccom: Warning: keys.c, line 16: illegal pointer combination
             "set-mark",
      -----------------^
ccom: Warning: keys.c, line 17: illegal pointer combination
             "beginning-of-line",
      --------------------------^
ccom: Warning: keys.c, line 18: illegal pointer combination
             "backward-character",
      ---------------------------^
ccom: Warning: keys.c, line 19: illegal pointer combination
             "unbound",
      ----------------^
. . . . and so on until it warns me about all 640 of them.

Then when jove actualy runs I crashes code 11, when I try to
type a control key sequence.

Any hints on how to fix this up would be great, thanks.
Brad Miller
bmiller@shamash.cdc.com

merrifie@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael C Merrifield) (03/24/90)

      RE: dog (flight) over NFS
QUESTION: Is there any way to isolate the sgi's running dog on the
          network?  In other words, how do I localize the `packet
          storms' generated by dog so other unsuspecting machines
          on the network are not affected?

  email response is fine...

 * Michael Merrifield   HOME : (317) 497-7876             *
 * Purdue  University   WORK : (317) 494-5944             *
 *  C  A  D  L  A  B    MAIL : merrifie@pc.ecn.purdue.edu *

arc@thyme.wpd.sgi.com (Andrew Cherenson) (03/26/90)

In article <1368@pc.ecn.purdue.edu> merrifie@pc.ecn.purdue.edu (Michael C Merrifield) writes:

>      RE: dog (flight) over NFS
		       (over ethernet, really)
>QUESTION: Is there any way to isolate the sgi's running dog on the
>          network?  In other words, how do I localize the `packet
>          storms' generated by dog so other unsuspecting machines
>          on the network are not affected?

Fixed in a future release of IRIX. By default, "dog" will use UDP/IP
multicasting instead of broadcasting. It'll still generate the same amount
of traffic but only those machines playing "dog" will receive the packets.

karron@ACF4.NYU.EDU (Dan Karron) (03/26/90)

To keep you dogs from affecting other on your subnet, you will
have to make a subnet just for your local machines. You can 1)
Put a switch or pull the plug on your main ethernet connection when you
have a dogfight, or put in a network bridge that will isolate your local
traffic.

dan.

aspgasd@cidsv01.cid.aes.doe.CA (Alain St-Denis) (10/22/90)

I would like to know why I can't find dog any where on the 3.3 tapes. I
loaded everything. I want to test the multicast feature (very important :-)).

Alain St-Denis
Centre informatique de Dorval
Environnement Canada
astdenis@cid.aes.doe.CA