[comp.sys.sgi] login icons

steve@wrc.unr.edu (Stephen Wheatcraft) (11/01/90)

Does anybody know if it is possible to substitute
a personalized icon for the login icon? I am talking
about the icons that you see on the login screen, in
which users are depicted as a person sitting in front
of a console. I have a pretty good understanding of
how to customize your environment once you are logged
in, but I can't find any reference to the postscript
files that set up the login screen.

Steve Wheatcraft                Internet: steve@olympus.wrc.unr.edu
Desert Research Institute       Bitnet  : steve@unsvax.bitnet
University of Nevada System
P.O. Box 60220                  AT&T    : (702) 673-7393
Reno, NV 89506                  FAX     : (702) 673-7397

karron@KARRON.MED.NYU.EDU (11/02/90)

Put in your user's home directory a directiry $HOME/.4sight/icons
that contains a file login.icon. This is a sgi format (ipaste) picture
that pandora will put up at login time. Usually, you take a photograph,
scan it, and convert it to ipaste format. When you are happy with how
it looks, name it and place it as I have said. Logout to see your pix in
pandora. If you don't have a scanner, ask around and see who has. It
would be a neat service if someone would make login icons from photographs
for folk on the net. If I get a scanner, I would do it. What I now do it
use some icons shipped with the system.

dan

>Date: 1 Nov 90 15:41:28 GMT
>From: Stephen Wheatcraft <apple.com!tahoe!wrc.unr.edu!steve>
>Subject: login icons
>Sender: info-iris-request@BRL.MIL
>To: info-iris@BRL.MIL
>
>Does anybody know if it is possible to substitute
>a personalized icon for the login icon? I am talking
>about the icons that you see on the login screen, in
>which users are depicted as a person sitting in front
>of a console. I have a pretty good understanding of
>how to customize your environment once you are logged
>in, but I can't find any reference to the postscript
>files that set up the login screen.
>

>Steve Wheatcraft                Internet: steve@olympus.wrc.unr.edu
>Desert Research Institute       Bitnet  : steve@unsvax.bitnet
>University of Nevada System
>P.O. Box 60220                  AT&T    : (702) 673-7393
>Reno, NV 89506                  FAX     : (702) 673-7397

| karron@nyu.edu (mail alias that will always find me)                        |
|                                         Dan Karron                          |
| . . . . . . . . . . . . . .             New York University Medical Center  |
| 560 First Avenue           \ \    Pager <1> (212) 397 9330                  |
| New York, New York 10016    \**\        <2> 10896   <3> <your-number-here>  |
| Please Note : Soon to move to dan@karron.med.nyu.edu 128.122.135.3  (Nov 1 )|