[comp.sys.sgi] Timezone problems

CMRGIBBONS@uqvax.cc.uq.edu.au (10/31/90)

I seem to be having a problem setting our timezone.
When I put the line:
   TZ = "EDT10EST11;78,300"
in our etc/TIMEZONE file the time reverts to GMT.
The examples in man timezone also default to GMT.  We are running 3.2 on a
PI and a 4D/80GT, the 4D/80 being timeslaved to the PI - it keeps terrible
time on it's own!

Richard Gibbons

meyer@ifi.unizh.ch (Urs Meyer) (11/02/90)

In article <0FEA199CE71F601882@uqvax.cc.uq.edu.au> CMRGIBBONS@uqvax.cc.uq.edu.au writes:
>I seem to be having a problem setting our timezone.
>When I put the line:
>   TZ = "EDT10EST11;78,300"
>in our etc/TIMEZONE file the time reverts to GMT.
>The examples in man timezone also default to GMT.  We are running 3.2 on a
>PI and a 4D/80GT, the 4D/80 being timeslaved to the PI - it keeps terrible
>time on it's own!
>
>Richard Gibbons

This has probably to do with an error in /etc/cshrc I reported months if
not years ago in this newsgroup.
The problem is that you must surround the timezone setting by double-quotes
due to the semicolon.  The /etc/cshrc as distributed by SGI reads the
/etc/TIMEZONE file and extracts the timezone *including* the quotes.

You can correct this by replacing the following line

    setenv TZ `sed -n -e '/^TZ=/s/TZ=//p' /etc/TIMEZONE`

with

    setenv TZ `sed -n -e '/^TZ=/s/\"//g' -e '/^TZ=/s/TZ=//p' /etc/TIMEZONE`

in /etc/cshrc.  reboot.

People from SGI, could this be corrected in the next release? Thank you.

Urs Meyer ---------- meyer@ifi.unizh.ch, {uunet,...}!mcsun!cernvax!unizh!meyer
University of Zurich, Dept of Computer Science, Multimedia Lab, CH-8057 Zurich