[comp.sys.sgi] vi Macro Garbage problem

Tim_Buxton@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU (11/02/90)

We have a problem in using the vi editor with PC's running
the SmarTerm 240 vt100 terminal emulation package by Persoft.
The arrow keys should work just like the hjkl keys, as their
"Escape-letter" sequences
have been macro'ed to these keys.  To see this, just type
:map at the command colon in vi, and all macros are displayed.
Often, however, the sequences are misinterpreted as an input of
the letter part of the sequence instead of the entire sequence;
up-arrow I believe delivers an A which signals Append, of course,
and more A's are inserted as junk in the file which has to be Undone
or just plain picked out.  This happens to other macros which
I defined using the F7 and F8 keys to be word back/word forward
as in Word- one of them causes entry of tilde which changes the
case of letters.

  Have others had this problem with terminal emulators?  I have
tried out the same equipment with VAX Ultrix vi and had no problems.
I have tried down to 2400 baud with IRIX, instead of the usual 9600
and the problem still exists.   Real Time Unix 3.3.1 HAS to be able
to handle those vi macros, however blindingly fast they may come . . .

                               Tim Buxton
                               OptiMetrics, Inc
                               Tim_Buxton@um.cc.umich.edu

corkum@csri.toronto.edu (Brent Thomas Corkum) (11/03/90)

In article <7176661@um.cc.umich.edu> Tim_Buxton@UM.CC.UMICH.EDU writes:
>We have a problem in using the vi editor with PC's running
>the SmarTerm 240 vt100 terminal emulation package by Persoft.
>The arrow keys should work just like the hjkl keys, as their

You are not alone, we have had the same problem with Procomm+ and
it's vt102 emulator. I just end up using the hjkl keys.  If there's a
fix for this, please post it as I'm forever cursing when I'm using
vi from home.

Brent
corkum@boulder.civ.toronto.edu