[comp.sys.sgi] Technical Word Processor

W0L@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Lasher) (11/09/90)

Can anyone suggest a decent, reasonably priced technical word processor for
the IRIS?  I need to do equations, and ideally would like a package that
acts like a normal wordprocessor when doing text, as opposed to a markup
language.  I'm using Wordperfect on a PC now, which would be great, but is
unavailable for the IRIS, and runs too slow under SoftPC.  Any suggestions
would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

jim@baroque.Stanford.EDU (James Helman) (11/09/90)

Framemaker from Frame Technology: (408) 433-3311.

It's great: text, equations, drawing, indexing, EPS.  Fully WYSIWIG
and mouse driven.  The only thing it's lacking (vis a vis TeX) is
bibliography database and formatting support.  It's also pretty easy
to use despite it's power.  If you're know any Emacs, it's even
easier, since the keystrokes for simple moving, deleting, etc. are the
same.

We're running the X/Motif version on a Sun as a client to SGI's X
server.  I think Frame has a NeWS version for SGI boxes.  An X version
is probably in the works.

Disclaimer: No association with Frame.

Jim Helman
Department of Applied Physics			Durand 012
Stanford University				FAX: (415) 725-3377
(jim@KAOS.stanford.edu) 			Work: (415) 723-9127

steve@olympus.wrcr.unr.edu (Stephen Wheatcraft) (11/12/90)

In article <90312.134347W0L@psuvm.psu.edu> W0L@psuvm.psu.edu (Bill Lasher) writes:
>Can anyone suggest a decent, reasonably priced technical word processor for
>the IRIS?  I need to do equations, and ideally would like a package that
>acts like a normal wordprocessor when doing text, as opposed to a markup
>language.  I'm using Wordperfect on a PC now, which would be great, but is
>unavailable for the IRIS, and runs too slow under SoftPC.  Any suggestions
>would be appreciated.

I am pretty sure that Frame is available for the SGI platform. It
is a WHYSIWIG technical publishing software package that does
equations pretty well from what I have seen.

----------Note: a pitch to the folks at SGI:------------
However, what I ~wish~ is that SGI would get together with
Interleaf to make an agreement to port Interleaf to the 4D
series. Interleaf is similar to Frame, but has more features and
does equations better (IMHO). Since I got my 4D-25 last month, I
have been stuck with 2 workstations in my office - the 4D-25 and
an old Sun 3/50, which runs Interleaf. It would really be great
to get rid of the 3/50. Interleaf is being ported to the
IBM RS6000. (It is not convenient for me to
use Frame because all our work here is done in Interleaf.)
According to the latest issue of Supercomputing Review, SGI is
making a big push to port office productivity software to the 4D
platform, since they now realize that so many scientists are in
the position I am in - having one machine for 3-d graphics, and
doing the more mundane stuff on the (more mundane) computers,
such as low end Suns and PCs. HAVING INTERLEAF AVAILABLE WOULD BE
A MAJOR PRIZE FOR SGI (IMHO).

Thanks for listening ...

Steve Wheatcraft                Internet: steve@olympus.wrc.unr.edu
Desert Research Institute       Bitnet  : steve@unsvax.bitnet
University of Nevada System
P.O. Box 60220                  AT&T    : (702) 673-7393
Reno, NV 89506                  FAX     : (702) 673-7397

msc@ramoth.esd.sgi.com (Mark Callow) (11/13/90)

In article <4907@tahoe.unr.edu>, steve@olympus.wrcr.unr.edu (Stephen Wheatcraft) writes:
|> ----------Note: a pitch to the folks at SGI:------------
|> However, what I ~wish~ is that SGI would get together with
|> Interleaf to make an agreement to port Interleaf to the 4D
|> series. Interleaf is similar to Frame, but has more features and
|> does equations better (IMHO). Since I got my 4D-25 last month, I

FrameMaker 2.1, which should be available soon, handles equations very nicely.

I think you need to pitch Interleaf more than SGI.

--
From the TARDIS of Mark Callow
msc@ramoth.sgi.com, ...{ames,decwrl}!sgi!msc